Skip to main content


20:31 5th September 2010


Stevenage shared the points with Aldershot Town Chris Beardsley's opener was equalled by Damian Spencer's poachers effort.

Stevenage made one change from the side that gained victory against Stockport, with Scott Laird dropping to the substitute's bench and Yemi Odubade back into the first eleven.
Peter Winn made way for Tim Sills to enter the eighteen.

The Boro attempted to assert themselves in the opening ten minutes, working to exert themselves on the Shots defence. Stevenage survived an appeal for handball after Luke Gutteridge sent in a cross that Mark Halsey had no problems in ruling did not hit Darius Charles' arm.

Aldershot had their first decent effort with Anthony Charles, whose half volley had the power, but not the aim as it was blasted over the bar. The fans were already beginning to voice dissent at wayward passes and decisions not going their way; however slim their chances of getting them.

Jamie Vincent was next to attempt a shot, as a cleared cross fell nicely for him to hammer towards goal, with the ball flying wide, but being enough to make Chris Day dive to his right.

Marvin Morgan showed his credentials as a forward as he ran at the heart of the Boro defence, only for a superhuman effort from Mark Roberts to intervene and ensure he blocked Morgan's effort just as he pulled the trigger.

There was worry for Stevenage twenty minutes in after Charlie Griffin hit the deck following a collision going for the ball. There was a long delay before the striker made his way to his feet, clearly feeling the effects, but he was clearly disorientated, and required further attention, before managing to leave the field.

Even upon his leaving, and subsequent replacement by Laird, there was much attention from the medical team, but the game continued and Ben Harding sent a shot fizzing towards Chris Day, that required two attempts for the goalkeeper to collect.

As Anthony Straker sent another shot wide of the goal, Griffin was applauded as he was stretchered away in front of the Shots fans, a sight that will be all too familiar to Stevenage fans following the FA Trophy final.

As Aldershot continued to press, Stevenage made another change, with Charles being replaced by David Bridges, for his first game of the season. He arrived in time to see another save by Day, who denied Straker, and gained a bit of luck as the rebound was cleared.

Stevenage did end up with the ball in the net before half time, as Chris Beardsley found acres of space at the far post from a free kick. He had time to control and put the ball away, but the linesman's flag was up, and the goal did not stand.

As the second half began, it took just six minutes for Beardsley to have the ball in the net again, and this time it did count. As the ball came into the box, Odubade seemed to be pulled to the ground. It didn't matter either way as the ball fell nicely into Beardsley's path, and the forward slotted the ball home with ease to give Stevenage the lead.

Boro continued to press and after forcing a corner, Michael Bostwick sent a bullet header into the arms of Jamie Young.
Aldershot nearly sneaked a goal through the back door as a deflected free kick inched wide of the post, to the gasps and groans of the Shots fans, and the relief of the Boro.

Bridges was given a good opportunity to extend the lead after a poor pass from Aldershot was intercepted and given to Bridges. His effort was a weak one however and the counter attack was lethal.

The ball was allowed to bounce between Jon Ashton and Day, and Damian Spencer nipped in to steal the ball before Day could clear, and slotted the ball into an empty net to level the game.

Stevenage gained a free kick on the edge of the area after Odubade was felled, and Laird stepped up to do the honours. His effort was close and only narrowly went over the bar, landing on the roof of the net.

Odubade raced clear again soon after and on this occasion chose to pass, only for the ball to end up cleared for a corner, when maybe the shot was on for him. The resulting corner eventually cleared.

Both sides were searching for a winning goal, and the game was starting to flow end to end. Morgan had another attempt blocked, this time by Ashton, when he seemed through, and Ronnie Henry fought through the Shots defence, to send a left footed effort into the arms of Young.

With five minutes remaining, disaster had seemingly struck for Boro. Ashton brought down Straker just inside the area, and Halsey had no issues pointing to the spot. Up stepped Morgan who was denied once more by Day as he correctly guessed the directionality of the penalty. The rebound was eventually put into the net, but Halsey spotted an infringement and disallowed the effort.

Ben Harding tried an audacious effort from a long free kick, which found the target, but was pushed over the bar with two hands by Day for a corner.
That was the last real effort as the game drew to a close. In the grand scheme of things it was a decent point for the Boro, which genuinely could have gone either way.

    Data provided by Press Association


    For the first 50 years of their existence, England played their home matches all around the country.