Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Stevenage vs Tranmere

24 November 2012


Greg Tansey rescued a point for Stevenage with a stoppage time spectacular against Tranmere Rovers.

A second half header from on-loan striker Jake Cassidy looked enough to condemn Boro to defeat at The Lamex Stadium but with one of the last kicks of the game Tansey levelled with a trademark strike.

Tansey's Poppy Appel shirt auctioned for £165 before the match, with proceeds going to charity, and with strikes like that it is clear why he is rapidly becoming a favourite down Broadhall Way.

If it were cricket, the game wouldn't have seen the first 45 minutes. The conditions were having a huge effect on the game with a wet surface making it hard to play he ball along the floor and high winds making aerially play hard to control.

It perhaps suggested that a long shot or two may trouble either goalkeeper, yet only once in the first half did we really see this come into play as Greg Tansey shot from 20 yards and forced a low save from Owain Fon Williams in between the Rovers sticks. The Boro man slipped on the surface as his planted leg found it hard to grip the grass, however it wa the closest either side came to an opener.

Manager Smith was forced into a change as early as 20 minutes into the tie; Filipe Morais looked se to continue after some treatment from Physio Paul Dando, but what looked like an ankle injury was too much and Luke Freeman came on.

David Gray seemed to be one if few enjoying the effects on the pitch as his sliding tackle extended a few metres. Three times he made quite brilliant challenges on the opposition, strengthening his credentials as a tough-tackler.

The league leaders came on strongly in the second half and piled forward, Andy Robinson saw his first long range effort fizz wide of the bottom corner, whilst his second was high and wide.

Stevenage couldn't carve out a chance, having to begin most attacks around their own penalty box it was a tall ask to get forward in numbers. Rovers continued to improve. With quarter of an hour remaining the opener came and there was no miracle - it certainly went to the side that deserved it most.

Adam McGurk, Rovers' top assister so far this year, progressed beyond Darius Charles and whipped a good ball into the box where Cassidy rose unmarked to head into the back of the net. It was the striker's 11th of the season and third career goal against Boro.

With time running out Smith replaced James Dunne with midfielder Shroot, and within a minute he almost had an equaliser. His low shot beat Fon Williams, but as the crowd drew breathe it cannoned back off the post only to be cleared.

It looked like the last chance had gone until Tansey picked the ball up on the edge of the box, he looked up and curled an exquisite strike into the far top corner to send the home supporters crazy.

Stevenage (4-1-4-1): Arnold; Gray, Roberts, N'Gala, Charles; Grant; Akins, Dunne (Shroot 80), Tansey, Morais (Freeman 20); Haber (Agyemang 73)

Att 3069 (436 away)

Advertisement block