Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


5 November 2013

Stevenage advanced into the second round of the Herts Senior Challenge Cup with a 4-0 win over London Colney this evening at The Lamex Stadium.

First half goals from Bruno Andrade, Ryan Johnson and Roarie Deacon and a second half penalty from Jordan Burrow was enough to see off their non-league opponents, but it was a competitive game at times with Colney looking threatening going forward.

Dino Maamria and Jason Goodliffe took charge of a Boro side which combined some of the first team squad with a number of youngsters from the youth team.

When Bruno Andrade scored the opener after just three minutes it looked like it could be a long evening for London Colney. But Boro’s opponents from the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division more than held their own at times and created a number of good chances.

Matt Newman twice went close for Colney and Dan Fitzgerald fired wide from the edge of the box as they pushed for an equaliser.

Greg Shaw saw a 24th minute free-kick deflect behind whilst at the other end Dean Parrett fired over from a set piece in an identical position.

The visitors kept pushing forward with Martin Collins the next to have an effort on goal.

Big Steve Arnold then came to Boro’s rescue with the save of the game, sticking out a foot to block Spencer-Clarke Mardell’s close-range shot.

Stevenage stepped up a gear as the half progressed. Burrow saw a goal ruled out for offside following a mazy run by Tounkara and Dean Parrett then clipped just wide after running the length of the half. 

But it wasn’t long until Boro got their second – Ryan Johnson powering in a free-kick three minutes before the break.

Minutes later Roarie Deacon tapped in from close range for 3-0 after another fine Tounkara run, to give Stevenage a three-goal lead at the break.

The second half saw both teams enjoy periods of possession but little in the way of goalmouth action. Andrade and Burrow both went close with low driven efforts before the impressive Ben Kennedy rattled the bar from the edge of the area.

Okenabirhie also tested the keeper from range before Boro got their fourth with 8 minutes remaining, Jordan Burrow winning - and converting - a late penalty.

Stevenage advance into an away tie in Round Two against either Ware or Tring, but attention now turns to Saturday’s FA Cup First Round tie against Portsmouth here at The Lamex Stadium.

Boro: Arnold, Girdlestone, Wedgbury, Johnson, Deacon, Okenabirhie (Hartley), Kennedy (Gordon), Parrett, Andrade, Tounkara, Burrow

Subs not used: Thompson, Joseph, Gorman

Attendance: 256

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account