Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


1 April 2015

In the build-up to Retro Day against Tranmere this Good Friday, we'll be looking back at some of the most high profile Stevenage games over the past 20 years with the help of photos from Action Images. Next up it's our successful FA Trophy Final of 2007...

Mark Stimson’s Stevenage Borough reached the 2007 FA Trophy Final after a seven-match run which saw them score 20 and concede just three.

Stevenage’s run to the FA Trophy Final
Round 1 – Stevenage 7, Merthyr Tydfil 0 (Boyd 4, Morison, Guppy, Dobson)
Round 2 – Stevenage 3, Leigh RMI 1 (Slabber, Morison 2)
Round 3 – Morecambe 1, Stevenage 1 (Morison)
Round 3 replay – Stevenage 3, Morecambe 0 (Morison, Nurse, Miller)
Round 4 – Stevenage 3, Salisbury 0 (McMahon, Morison, Nurse)
Semi-Final – Grays Athletic 0, Stevenage 1 (Gaia)
Semi-Final – Stevenage 2, Grays Athletic 1 (Hughes, Morison)

Over 53,000 filed into Wembley for the first ever cup final at the new stadium and hopes were high that Stevenage would complete their run and clinch the silverware. However the first half was more of a nightmare for Boro as two James Constable strikes around the half hour mark put Kidderminster firmly in the driving seat.

Kidderminster took a two-goal lead into the break

Whatever Mark Stimson said to his players at half time worked a trick though as Boro turned the game on its head in an outstanding second half display.

Six minutes in Adam Miller played a ball into the box, Luke Oliver knocked down and there was Mitchell Cole to rifle home right-footed into the bottom corner to give Boro hope.

Mitchell pulled a goal back to spark the Boro comeback

Stevenage threw on Craig Dobson just past the hour and the pint-sized winger immediately made an impact with his pace and direct running. Ten minutes after coming on he latched onto a through-ball from John Nutter and capitalised on defensive hesitancy to prod home an equaliser.

Then with time ticking away and extra time looking likely, Barry Fuller swung in an 88th minute cross which Steve Morison volleyed at goal. ‘Keeper Scott Bevan made the block but the ball fell right back to Morison who smashed home to send the Stevenage half of Wembley into ecstasy.

Moro smashes home the late winner...

...and then celebrates with the fans

Moments later the final whistle was sounded, Boro celebrated and Ronnie Henry became the first captain to lift a trophy at the new Wembley Stadium.

Stevenage: Julian, Fuller, Henry, Gaia, Nutter, Cole, Beard, Miller, Guppy (Dobson 63), Oliver, Morison

Subs not used: Slabber, Potter, Nurse, McMahon

Ronnie became the first captain to lift a trophy at the new Wembley Stadium

Mark Stimson with Jim Briscoe

Full details of Retro Day activities this Good Friday against Tranmere Rovers can be found here. In advance tickets are available at for this game, ranging from £3-£20. Family tickets are also available in advance only, priced at £30 for a family of three (1 adult, 2 U16s) and £40 for a family of four (2 adults, 2 U16s).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account