Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


10 August 2015

The Stevenage U18s began their new Youth Alliance campaign in impressive style on Saturday, beating Peterborough United 3-1 at Shephalbury.

Boro were effectively in control from the off, with the bulk of chances falling to the home side in the first half. The pressure eventually told after just 11 minutes when Boro's first was tapped in from close range.

Robbie Sweeney also narrowly skied his free kick just moments later, as the home side continued to put the Peterborough defence under pressure. Despite seemingly being in control and creating most of the chances, a lapse in concentration from the Stevenage 'keeper allowed Peterborough's number 10 to tap the equaliser into an empty net after 20 minutes. 

The home side tried to respond quickly, with Storer forcing an impressive stop from Peterborough's goalkeeper 25 minutes in. Just moments later, the home side almost got lucky after some penalty box pinball from a corner nearly resulted in an own goal. Thankfully for Peterborough, the referee blew up for a foul on the goalkeeper.

Despite being on the backfoot, the Posh still carved out a couple of decent chances, primarily through their impressive number 11, who fired straight at the Stevenage 'keeper just before half time. He found himself in acres of space again moments later, but fired narrowly over from a pinpoint cross. The scores remained level at half time.

It didn't take long for Stevenage to take the lead after the break, with Peterborough's number 5 pulling back a Stevenage man in the penalty area, and in the process receiving a second yellow card. With the Posh down to 10 men, it was up to Jack Storer to score the resultant penalty. He calmly dispatched it into the top right hand corner, giving the home side a deserved lead.

Stevenage were hungry for more, and they went close just a few minutes later. Storer had a chance to get his second, but fired just over the bar from a well worked corner routine.

Peterborough's number 10 then had a deflected shot saved by the Stevenage 'keeper, which could have fallen anywhere and turned the game on its head.

Another Stevenage shot flashed just past the post, however it wasn't long until the hosts extended their lead with a header from Sweeney's impressive cross after 67 minutes.

The home side continued to dominate, and Storer almost got his second moments later, but he fired his long range shot just over the bar.

Sweeney nearly extended the lead further, and was unlucky not to get the goal that his performance merited- his close range shot just narrowly fizzing past the right hand post after some excellent build up play.

The home side more than held on for the three points towards the end of the game, with a Stevenage sub thwarted by a good stop from the Peterborough 'keeper late on in the game.

The three points remained in Hertfordshire though after a comprehensive performance and a first win of the season for the youngsters.

Advertisement block