Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


9 December 2015

Stevenage are out of the Herts Senior Cup after a late winner saw Cheshunt win 2-1 in the second round last night.

With Teddy Sheringham and chairman Phil Wallace among those watching at Theobalds Lane, Kevin Watson and Darren Sarll took charge of a Stevenage side comprising first team squad members and scholars.

A bright start by the visitors saw early chances with Charlie Lee heading over and both Adam Marriott and Tom Conlon firing straight at Cheshunt ‘keeper James May.

Floodlight failure just before the quarter hour mark meant a 25 minute delay to the game as club officials looked into the problem. With both sides taking time to get back into the game after the restart, it was Cheshunt who took the lead on the half hour when former Canvey Island and Chelmsford striker Jason Hallett evaded the offside trap and crossed for Luke Marshall to fire home at the back post.

Marriott was again denied by the ‘keeper as Boro sought an immediate response, which they got four minutes later as a Tom Conlon shot from inside the area found the back of the net.

The trio of Lee, Conlon and Marriott again went close with efforts as Stevenage looked to take the lead in the second half with only fine defending again thwarting Boro on the hour – Conlon saw a fierce drive kept out on the line and then Marriott was again denied from close range.

As the game progressed it was Cheshunt who began to create chances with goalkeeper Michael Crowe called into action to deny Luke Illsley and Adam Bolle and then make a superb reaction save from close-range to thwart the hosts.

Dipo Akinyemi – back from his loan spell at Aldershot – came on for the final 13 minutes to add more pace and strength up top and Marriott was again frustrated when his near-post flick after the sub’s cut-back on 81 minutes was again kept out.

It looked like being one of those nights and with the game heading towards extra time it was Cheshunt who retook the lead with five minutes remaining; Hallett smashing home from inside the box after catching Boro on the counter.

Cheshunt progress to a quarter-final tie with either Sun Sports or Hitchin Town, leaving Stevenage to concentrate solely on their Sky Bet League Two campaign for the rest of the season.

Stevenage: Crowe, Slater, Hughes, Johnson, Smyth, Conlon, Jebb (Akinyemi 77), Gorman, Sweeney, Lee, Marriott

Subs not used: Jackson, Cregan, Croud, Brady

Advertisement block