Skip to main content Skip to site footer


11 July 2015

First half goal from Williams sees Boro to victory...

Stevenage got their pre-season off the perfect start with a 1-0 win against Wealdstone in the West London sunshine.

Teddy Sheringham played two different teams in each half with the telling goal coming from recently signed striker, Brett Williams on 30 minutes.

A first XI which included new signings Mark Hughes, Steven Schumacher and Brett Williams took to the field for the first half and Boro got on top of the game early with Parrett creating space for Lee who had a shot deflected wide for a corner.

Minutes later came a double chance, Schumacher showing off his pile-driver of a shot, forcing the Wealdstone keeper into action before Hughes’ looping header had to be scrambled away.

Shaun Lucien was proving to be a threat for the home side, twice forcing Day into fine saves during the opening 20 minutes.

The first goal eventually came on the half-hour mark, Brett Williams scoring from the spot after being taken down by the covering right-back, when through on goal.

Boro continued to dominate the first half and Williams was the man causing trouble for the home defence, keeper Jonathan North using his legs to deny the striker in a very presentable one-on-one opportunity.

It was all change at the break with a second XI taking to the pitch. Youth team players Matt Smyth, Nathan Kerr and Dipo Akinyemi joined recent graduates Dale Gorman, Ryan Johnson and George Casey as well as Tom Conlon, David McAllister and three trialists.

The second half was much more even but midfielders Conlon, McAllister and Gorman showed their class, in particular.

Wealdstone were certainly more of a threat in the second half, Hutchinson had the best chance to level things up but couldn’t quite find the net after lifting it over the advancing trialist keeper.

Tison Lascaris went close for the home side with 5 minutes to go, yards away from finding the top corner from 20 yards.

In the final moments of the game, Conlon came close from a free-kick, narrowly swerving the ball over the bar as it ended 1-0.




Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account