Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 05/04/2016

5 April 2016

Match Reports

Match Report : 05/04/2016

5 April 2016

Sponsored by

Boro earn point at home to Yeovil

Stevenage continued their recent revival with a goalless draw at home to Yeovil Town this evening.

After Saturday’s win at Luton Darren Sarll named an unchanged starting XI. The only changes came on the bench where Tom Conlon and Byron Harrison came in for Tom Pett and Charlie Adams.

The weekend victory at Kenilworth Road came late on but Boro nearly got the perfect start here at The Lamex Stadium inside 60 seconds. Greg Luer chased a ball into the box and cut the ball back for Parrett to slide in and take a swing at it. The ball instead came out to Jake Mulraney who opted for power over placement and cleared the North Terrace.

Stevenage continued their bright start, zipping the ball around quickly and once Yeovil finally got hold of the ball they were doing the same, leading to a particularly frantic opening period.

Chances were remaining at a premium, however and it took until the 25th minute for Boro’s next opportunity. Good pace by Mulraney took the ball into the Yeovil half and when Kennedy fed Luer, the striker cut back onto his left but slipped as he shot and the ball sailed over.

Glovers winger Jack Compton saw shot from distance go wide before Dean Parrett went close a minute later, flicking the ball over a defender, turning and shooting from 25 yards only for his effort to bounce wide of Krysiak’s far post.

Both sides made subs at the break with Chris Whelpdale returning to first-team action for the first time since Boxing Day, replacing Mulraney. Immediately the winger was into the action, winning a corner which saw Krysiak claw Kennedy’s delivery 

The game continued to and fro with both teams plugging away, but all too often attacking play broke down, leading to some scrappy periods of play.

Francois Zoko came off the bench for the Glovers to a warm welcome from the home faithful, but even he had little effect as Wells and Wilkinson remained on top. 

Tom Conlon came on in the 81st minute and immediately won a free-kick, from which his dangerous delivery was cleared behind for a corner. The Glovers cleared that set-piece and set off on the counter, only for Kennedy to earn a yellow for hauling down Kevin Dawson.

The final few minutes caused more work for both physios than goalkeepers, thanks to a couple of head clashes and the game petered out into a goalless draw.

A point and a second consecutive clean sheet now gives Stevenage something to build on ahead of Saturday’s trip to Notts County.

Stevenage:  Jones, Henry, Wilkinson, Wells, Franks, Tonge, Pritchard, Parrett (Conlon 80), Mulraney (Whelpdale 46), Kennedy, Luer (Harrison 58)

Subs not used: Day, O’Connor, Okimo, Gorman

Yeovil: Krysiak, Tozer, Smith, Dolan, Sokilok, Laird (Dawson 46), Dickson, Compton (Cornick 62), Campbell, Roberts, Lita (Zoko 71)

Subs not used: Weale, Goodship, Lacey, Shephard

Referee: Nick Kinseley

Attendance: 2,748 (172 away)

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account