Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


30 January 2016

Club News


30 January 2016

Stevenage went down 2-1 at York City after a topsy-turvy game that ended in late heartbreak, once again. 

Kenny McEvoy put the home side ahead in the first half before Keith Keane equalised in spectacular fashion only for Galbraith to score the winner for the hosts in stoppage time.

Teddy Sheringham made two changes to the side that drew against Barnet last weekend, Dean Wells back from injury into the centre of defence and Deimantas Petravicius coming in to make his first start for the club.

Ronnie Henry failed a late fitness test whilst Zanzala was out due to an arm injury.

The game started as many would have expected – nervy and tight as both teams tried to find their way into the game but Boro really should have gone ahead after five minutes. Petravicius got it all wrong from a few yards out as the ball came off his thigh, likely not expecting the ball to reach him.

Stevenage had York pinned back for much of the first half and earned corner after corner as they tried to find a breakthrough.

Ironically it was from a corner that Stevenage found themselves behind. After forcing three in a row, York broke with pace and ex-Boro loanee, Kenny McEvoy found himself one-on-one with Chris Day before calmly putting the home side ahead.

There were more injury woes just after the goal as Michael Tonge had to be replaced for Lee Cox in a like-for-like substitution.

The pattern of the game stayed much the same, Boro applying pressure but often seeing the move break down at the crucial time.

O’Connor had a golden opportunity to level things up five minutes after York went ahead, a turn and shot from a few yards out that deflected behind for a corner.

York certainly had their spells, the best coming around the half hour mark as Vadaine Oliver forced Chris Day into a smart save to cap off a good period of pressure.

Boro huffed and puffed for the remainder of the second half to no avail as it ended 1-0 to the hosts at the break.

Dean Parrett came on in the second half for Petravicius and immediately made an impression on the game. After having an appeal turned down for a penalty, the midfield man fired over the bar from the edge of the box.

Stevenage kept up the pressure and O’Connor stung the palms of Flinders from a tight angle. The resulting corner was flicked goalwards by Franks but it wasn’t troubling the keeper.

York continued to show their danger on the counter-attack and after McEvoy broke free again, the ball ended up being bundled into the net but disallowed for a foul on Day.

Moments later, another ball flew across the Stevenage six yard box but thankfully nobody was ready to pounce.

Much of the second half was a scrappy affair with both teams struggling to create chances and move the ball through the pitch. Boro never gave up the ghost though and were rewarded with just over ten minutes to go, Keith Keane smashing the ball home from 30 yards after given an age to strike the ball.

Tom Pett had the opportunity to put Boro ahead minutes later after Dean Parrett did well to hold the ball up before Pett took it off him and fired low and wide.

York threatened occasionally, mainly on the counter attack and actually had another goal disallowed from a set-piece after the referee gave a foul in the build up.

With time dwindling away and into stoppage time, Aaron O’Connor was put through on goal, turned his man and chipped the keeper only to see it cleared from York’s David Winfield. The ball came out for Charlie Lee but his shot was saved by the keeper.

The killer blow came with less than a minute to go as Galbraith picked the ball up on about the half-way line, got away from his marker and fired low into the bottom corner. A truly devastating way to lose after coming so close to the winning goal moments prior.

York City: Flinders, Ilesanmi, Coulson, Summerfield, Oliver, Penn, Cameron, Winfield, Dixon, Hendrie, McEvoy

Subs: Berrett, Satka, Carson, Massanka, Ingham, Fewster, Galbraith

Stevenage: Day, Wilkinson, Franks, O'Connor, Pett, Tonge, Wells, Lee, Keane, Ogilvie, Petravicius

Subs: Jones, Cox, Gordon, Parrett, Akinyemi, Johnson, Gorman

Referee: Jeremy Simpson

Attendance: 2951, 202 away.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account