Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News


26 July 2016

Stevenage's pre-season preparations progressed with a goalless draw at Boreham Wood this evening.

The game against their Vanarama National League hosts proved a competitive and at times feisty affair, with Darren Sarll giving 90 minutes to a number of players as the new Sky Bet League 2 season approaches.

Both sides started brightly but it was Boro who created the opening chances after just a few minutes. Jobi McAnuff cut in from the left and saw a shot deflect over the bar, with Charlie Lee then firing over from the resulting corner.

Dean Wells also saw a header from another corner blocked before the 10th minute mark but it wasn't all Boro, with Jamie Jones saving from Ricky Shakes at the other end.

Darren Sarll's men kept up the pressure on their hosts but were restricted to shots from distance, with Michael Tonge seeing one effort deflect over and McAnuff's shot from the right deflecting kindly for home 'keeper Grant Smith.

After a goalless first half Stevenage nearly got the breakthrough moments into the second. Former Boro 'keeper Sam Beasant, on for the second half for the hosts, tried to dribble his way around Tom Pett but the winger tackled him. He was forced wide, however and couldn't find the right delivery into the six yard box for the incoming Godden.

Tom Conlon and Lee both saw shots blocked as Boreham Wood defended well, with Charlie then heading over just before the hour.

Jake Hyde replaced McAnuff for the final 20 minutes and Boro fans will be pleased to see him back on the pitch after missing the last couple of games.

With 17 minutes remaining a great break from Stevenage saw Godden find Pett and the winger cut inside from the left and curled a shot onto the corner of the post and crossbar, as the opposition woodwork was rattled for the third game in succession.

Godden fired straight at Beasant and Lee headed straight into the 'keepers hands as chances continued to came Boro's way, albeit sporadically, but the game remained level.

Boreham Wood remained competitive throughout and created great chances of their own in the final quarter of an hour, only to be thwarted by Jamie Jones on both occasions. Ricky Shakes must have thought he scored when he took aim for the top corner inside the box but Jones pulled a save out of the top drawer, showing great reflexes to turn it over the bar. Then four minutes from time he somehow kept out a shot from yards out with a sliding save after the ball had been played across Boro's box.

Whilst there was no breakthrough for either side in this game, it served its purpose in getting 90 minutes into most legs and another clean sheet is testament to Boro's organisation against lively opposition. 

Next up is St Neots Town on Wednesday night, in a game which Darren Sarll expects to see the likes of Ben Kennedy, Dale Gorman, Mark McKee and Jake Hyde featuring, among others, and impressing in a bid to feature in his opening day plans.

Stevenage: Jones, Henry, Franks, Wells, Fox, Conlon (Akinyemi 88), Tonge, Lee, McAnuff (Hyde 70), Pett, Godden

Subs not used: Day, Kerr, McKee, Gorman, Donnellan, Johnson

Advertisement block