Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 12/11/2016

12 November 2016


A late Yeovil equaliser denied Stevenage a big three points at The Lamex Stadium this evening in a 2-2 draw in Sky Bet League 2.

Two second half strikes from Ben Kennedy had turned the game on its head after Ryan Hedges’ 47th minute opener and that looked enough for victory, only for sub Ben Whitfield to volley home after added time to secure a point.

Both sides enjoyed early possession and tried to carve out chances with Harry McKirdy lofting one over the top for Matty Godden, only for Darren Ward to intercept. Otis Khan was also flagged offside for Yeovil on 8 minutes as the visitors sprung a quick counter-attack.

McKirdy went close on the counter himself on 10 minutes and Charlie Lee volleyed over as Boro continued to press. Artur Krysiak had to be alert to get across and prevent a Cowans free-kick creeping in and Fraser Franks then let fly from 25 yards which the ‘keeper parried.

Matty Godden put the ball in the back of the net on 25 minutes but saw his goal ruled out for offside, as the linesman went on to frustrate Stevenage with a number of close offside decisions as the half progressed.

With minutes of the first half remaining, former loanee Ryan Hedges found Matt Dolan on the edge of the Boro box and his shot was deflected into the path of Liam Shepherd. It looked a certain goal for the Glovers but a fantastic save from Jamie Jones denied him from close range.

After a goalless first half it was Hedges who broke the deadlock on 47 minutes, running at covering man Henry Cowans and firing the ball home low into the back of the net.

Tom Eaves twice went close with close-range flicks which Jones saved, as Yeovil looked to be the more likely to score again. But after struggling to really get going, Boro pulled level through the brilliance of Ben Kennedy on 67 minutes.

The Northern Irish Under-21 international did brilliantly to wriggle away from two men on the right flank, got into the box and curled a low effort which crept inside the far post for a brilliant equaliser.

The goal lifted Boro and the hosts finally started carving out some chances to score again. Harry McKirdy was blatantly blocked off on the edge of the Yeovil box as he run at the retreating defence, whilst Godden latched onto a big 71st minute kick from Jones and beat Krysiak to the ball, but saw his header bounce agonisingly wide of the post.

With five minutes to go, Boro thought they’d won the game. If Kennedy’s first goal was good, his second was truly out of the top drawer as he took the ball from the half-way line, cut into the box and this time curled a beauty over Krysiak and in for 2-1 to spark scenes of wild jubilation among the home faithful.

He even went close to a third with an identical effort that Krysiak saved and when four minutes of added time were signalled, it seemed like all Boro needed was to shut-up shop. That they did for a few minutes, only for heartbreak to follow in added time after added time when sub Ben Whitfield’s deflected strike found the far corner for 2-2.

Next up for Stevenage is a trip to Accrington Stanley next Saturday. Tickets can be bought at

Stevenage: Jones, Henry, Franks, Wilkinson (Schumacher 81), Ntlhe, King, Lee, Cowans (Pett 68), McKirdy (Liburd 81), Kennedy, Godden

Subs not used: Day, McAnuff, Tonge, Wells

Yeovil: Krysiak, Shephard (Whitfield 88), Smith, Dolan, Mugabi, Lacey, Eaves, Khan (Zoko 75), Butcher, Hedges, Ward

Subs not used: Maddison, Dickson, Ezewele, Sowunmi, Campbell

Referee: Gavin Ward

Attendance: 2,457 (285 away)

Advertisement block