Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage get another win with 4-1 defeat of Orient

28 February 2017

Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage get another win with 4-1 defeat of Orient

28 February 2017

Sponsored by

Stevenage finished the night in the play-off places as we continued our outstanding form with a 4-1 win over Leyton Orient.

Goals from Kennedy, Godden, Wilkinson and Pett sealed the deal with two goals coming in either half.

Darren Sarll made just two changes to the team that beat Crewe at the weekend. Ben Kennedy in for Josh McQuoid whilst Chris Day was back in goal for his due to Jamie Jones’ suspension.

Stevenage started the game well on top, constantly on the attack and although the opening 15 minutes saw very little in terms of chance creation, it was clear that Boro came to play.

Ben Kennedy was the man who had the early opportunities, curling wide from a tight angle before forcing Sargeant into a brilliant save down low to his near-post.

Only a few minutes after seeing his chances go missing, Kennedy put us ahead. A superb run from Tom Pett set the goal up, driving into the box from deep before standing it up for Kennedy to head in from close range.

It was 2-0 shortly after. Luke Wilkinson held in the box as McAnuff’s corner was swung in, leaving the referee little choice but to point to the spot. Matty Godden did the rest, his 11th goal in his last 12 games.

Just as it appeared we were in for a comfortable evening, Orient pegged us back and made it game on. Collins swinging in a wicked free-tick towards the back post for McCallum to head in past the helpless Day.

The goal gave the visitors a fresh impetus and they began to wrestle back control of the game. Gavin Massey missing a great chance to draw the O’s level from a well worked counter attack.

Jack King came close before the half from a corner, heading into the ground and over the bar but the score remained 2-1 when both sets of players went in at the break.

The second half started much in the same vein as the first, Boro in control and it didn’t take long before the lead was extended. McAnuff with space on the right before crossing into the box for the towering Luke Wilkinson to head home.

Godden and Franks both missed chances shortly after, the latter smashing the crossbar from McAnuff’s delivery again.

If there was still any doubt about the result after that, on 61 minutes it was all but over. Tom Pett putting the finishing touches to a nice move in the box, firing past Sargeant in goal despite the keeper getting a hand to it.

Although he didn’t have a huge amount to do during the game, Chris Day still had the chance to show why he is loved so dearly in the town. When Gavin Massey was allowed too much time outside the box, he let off a strike that looked destined for the back of the net, but for the brilliant reactions of Day.

Orient had the ball in the net but saw the referee disallow it, Koroma judged to have fouled Day as the ball was up in the air. Matty Godden missed a golden opportunity to make it five after Pett and Kennedy sprung a rapid counter-attack up the pitch.

Boro were able to keep the game under control from then on, seeing it out in a professional manner to make it six wins and a draw out of the last seven games.


Reaction and highlights will be available in due course for Boro PlayerHD subscribers.





Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account