Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 1-1 Coventry City

21 November 2017

Sponsored by

Stevenage earn point the hard way...

Boro fought back from a goal down to Coventry City on Tuesday night as Tom Pett’s 75th minute strike salvaged what could turn out to be a vital point for his team.

In what was a frustrating affair for much of the game, Stevenage kept on plugging away all night despite McNulty's early opener before finally getting their rewards.

The boss names just one change from Saturday’s defeat at Mansfield, First Year Pro Mark McKee coming into central midfield for Chris Whelpdale.

Stevenage began the game looking sharp and ready for the fight. Tom Pett starting a swift attack from his own half, combining with Matty Godden as he made his way into shooting position on the edge of the box.

Although the shot was well blocked from the Coventry defence, it was a sign of early intent from Darren Sarll’s men.

Coventry looked sharp themselves and could have gone ahead after Haynes broke into the area, his shot skewed into the side netting but a good opportunity nevertheless.

The Sky Blues did get the ball in the back of the net minutes later, however a pull on Jack King resulted in a Stevenage free-kick and the goal was disallowed.

20 minutes in, Coventry took the lead. McNulty turning it in from a corner as Boro failed to deal with a wicked ball delivered in.

Almost immediately, Boro had the chance to equalise. Matty Godden flicking on a Joe Martin free-kick which left the keeper scrambling, just able to turn it away.

Harry Beautyman was inches away from turning in a Tom Pett cross on the half hour mark but the midfield man couldn’t quite get the connection he desired an despite plenty of good work from the team throughout the first half, the lads went into the break 0-1 down.

Right at the start of the second half, Danny Newton fired over from close range after getting onto the end of Wilkinson’s flick at the back-post.

McNulty tried to the find the bottom corner after Coventry won the ball back in midfield and broke quickly, the strikers shot falling just the wrong (right) side of the post.

It should have two nil to the visitors shortly after, Jones getting in down the right hand side and having two free Sky Blues to aim for. Only brilliant persistence and tracking back from Tom Pett and Harry Beautyman prevented the chance from opening up.

The second half was a stop-start affair during the early stages with a number of injuries and substitutions breaking up play. Alex Samuel replaced Harry Beautyman whilst Coventry’s Jobi Jones was forced off on a stretcher. Matty Godden also taken off injured for Chris Whelpdale.

Biamou forced Fryer to get down to his left as he fizzed a shot in towards the bottom corner, Luke Wilkinson quick to clean up as it was palmed back into the danger area.

Much like in recent weeks, Stevenage were giving it their all but struggling to break down a stubborn opposition defence.

That was until the 75th minute when Tom Pett struck from close range. The midfielder following in before hitting the roof of the net, sending relief and joy around the Lamex as the team finally got their just rewards.

Coventry still remained a threat. Shipley couldn’t keep his head when the opportunity opened up for him after a Coventry counter, the attacker volleying high and wide despite having plenty of time to measure his shot.

As we entered the final ten minutes, both sides went to and fro in search of a winner, defences coming out on top as Boro pick up a valuable point.

Fryer, Henry, King, Wilkinson, Martin, McKee, Beautyman (Samuel 61'), Smith, Pett (Conlon 90+1'), Newton, Godden (Whelpdale 69')

Unused Substitutes: Day, Franks, Vancooten, Wilmot


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account