Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 3-2 Accrington Stanley

17 October 2017

Sponsored by

A huge comeback win...

Stevenage twice fought back from a goal down to claim all three points at home to Accrington as Matty Godden and Ben Kennedy helped rescue the game in the second half.

After going into the second half 1-0 down, Stevenage showed bags of character to turn the game around and pick up a crucial three points after Saturday’s disappointment.

Darren Sarll named two changes from the side that got beat at Luton – bringing in Vancooten for Wilkinson and Wootton for Newton.

The opening fifteen minutes saw little in the way of clear cut chances – Sean McConville having the best of them as he saw his errand shot fly wide of the goal.

McConville tested Fryer not long after as he let fly from distance, the keeper doing well to get back onto the ball after briefly spilling it due to the wet surface.

Soon though it was 1-0 to the visitors - Jordan Clark putting the finishing touch onto a well worked team goal, firing into the bottom corner from a narrow angle.

The first real half chance of note for Stevenage came a few minutes later as Pett almost picked out Godden from a couple of yards out.

That moment seemed to spark Boro into life as they went onto have the better of things until the break. A few nearly moments followed as Godden, Kennedy and Pett tried to get things going in attack but that final ball, shot or decision just wasn’t quite there.

Hearts were in mouths with five minutes until the half - Billy Kee found over the top of the defence but his shot was high and wide with the on-rushing Fryer quick to close down the angle. A disappointing first half and a big reaction needed.

Boro were slow to get out the traps. Shortly after the restart, Clark got in down the right after a quick free-kick, thankfully Smith was on hand to clear the ball away from danger.

Pett made Chapman work after picking up a pocket of space outside the area, his left foot shot dealt with by the Stanley stopper.

Stevenage began to get it going and upped the pressure on the visiting defence. Godden saw a speculative shot fly not far wide of the scrambling Chapman and much to the pleasure of the fans in the East Terrace, Danny Newton’s name was called on 58 minutes as Wootton made way for the striker.

Boro finally found the breakthrough on the hour as Matty Godden tucked away a trademark finish to bring a mixture of relief and joy around the Lamex Stadium.

It was to be short-lived though. Just minutes later Accrington were awarded a penalty after some clumsy defending inside the box. Kee converted, just managing to squeeze under Fryer.

The immediate set-back came as a huge blow having just got back into the contest but Boro kept plugging away, searching for a second equaliser.

Just as it seemed like the game might have been out of reach, that man Godden was at it again. A superb flicked header to bring it back to 2-2 with less than ten minutes to go.

The goal energised the stadium and the players as they pushed for a winner. With less than two minutes to go, they got it.

A quick counter up the pitch with Danny Newton who fed Kennedy on the right wing, the Northern Irishman coming up big when it mattered most, striking the ball into the bottom far corner to send the Lamex into raptures as the comeback was complete. 

Advertisement block