Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 1-2 Forest Green

21 October 2017

Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 1-2 Forest Green

21 October 2017

Sponsored by

Defeat for Boro...

Stevenage fell to a 2-1 defeat at home to Forest Green Rovers on Saturday as Darren Sarll’s side were unable to hold onto their half-time lead.

Matty Godden’s fifth of the season got Boro up and running in the first half but goals from Reece Brown and Christian Doidge in the second did the business for the visitors.

Darren Sarll named an unchanged line-up from Tuesday night’s win over Accrington and the pattern of the game seemed to become apparent within the opening few minutes.

Stevenage pressing high up the pitch, trying to catch out the opposition who looked to play out from the back at every opportunity.

Marsh Brown had the first real chance of the game as Forest Green sprung the press and broke up the pitch. Despite having a number of options, Brown went for goal from over 20 yards out which Fryer gathered comfortably.

Fitzwater scuffed a decent opening from inside the box moments later but the opposition struggled to create much else throughout the first half.

There were strong shouts for a Stevenage penalty after 15 minutes when Tom Pett appeared to be bundled over by Dale Bennett. Despite the mass appeals, referee Lee Collins waved all protests away.

Boro’s best chance of the game came on 20 minutes as Jonathan Smith headed wide from a Tom Pett corner. Despite being unmarked, the midfield man couldn’t direct the ball on target

With a strong gust in the air, chances were at a premium as both sides battled it out in difficult conditions.

After being flagged offside on a number of occasions throughout the first half (much to the Stevenage fans’ frustration), Godden finally timed it right and made it count just before the break.

Latching onto a lovely ball from Vancooten, Godden bore down on goal with just the keeper to beat and the finish was exactly what we have come to expect– clinically tucked away into the bottom corner.

Kyle Wootton made way for Danny Newton at the start of the second half and Stevenage started it well. Martin unleashing a powerful left footed shot which the keeper managed to get hold of at the second time of asking.

From a corner, Newton saw his header blocked on the line as Boro went in search for what would have been a crucial second goal.

With 58 minutes on the clock, Forest Green struck back. Dale Gorman giving away a free-kick on the edge of the box and Reece Brown punishing the error – bending the ball around the wall and into the bottom corner.

Kennedy came off with a knock soon after and with 20 minutes to go, the visitors went ahead. Doidge heading in the finish touch from a Forest Green move that started deep in their own half.

Just like on Tuesday night, if Boro were to come away with three points it would have to be done the hard way.

Jack King came on for Dale Gorman to add a bit of extra bite to midfield and for the final period of the game, Stevenage threw it all at Forest Green as the visitors looked to protect their lead.

Despite the territory, there was little in clear cut chances for Stevenage as the game drew to a close. Matty Godden saw a great opportunity palmed away in added time but Forest Green were able to hold onto only their second away of the season.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account