Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Honours even as Boro are held by Crawley

12 September 2017

Sponsored by

Tough conditions as points are shared..

Stevenage were held by a resilient Crawley to a 1-1 draw, as Boro were frustrated by the visitors. A wonderful Danny Newton wasn't enough as the teams took a share of the points.

Darren Sarll made just two changes from the team that lost to Lincoln on Saturday. Ben Kennedy made his first start for Stevenage since returning from injury, plus there was a first league start for Aston Villa loanee Kevin Toner. The young Irishman coming into the back four to replace the suspended Luke Wilkinson.

After a bright start from Boro and especially Ben Kennedy down the right-hand side, the first shot on target came from Jonathan Smith. The ball fell to the midfielder 30 yards out, and after a quick glance to see the goalkeeper off his line, fancied his chances on the half volley, only to see the Crawley ‘keeper parry and collect.

Kennedy then came close to finding the net himself. Boro had been on top for 20 minutes and looked comfortable in possession. The winger cut back inside on his favoured left-food, before dragging his fizzed shot just wide of the near post.

On the half hour, Crawley had grown into the tie and were continuing to load crosses into the box. Ibrahim Meite latched onto a long through ball from the back, before firing at goal. The striker hit what looked to be a great individual goal, but Joe Fryer was there to pull off an incredible save to deny the visitors the lead.

As the fourth official signalled for six minutes of added time due to the number of injury breaks in the first half, Stevenage went 1-0 up. Danny Newton picked the ball up from deep, and decided to go it alone. The striker slalomed past four defenders, before striking low and accurately past the goalkeeper into the bottom right. Newton then proceeded to his customary East Terrace celebration, sending the Boro faithful into raptures. 

The rain continued to pour down at The Lamex, and the second half kicked off as Stevenage looked to seal the win. However, Ibrahim Meite managed to steal the ball high up the pitch, before blasting his left-footed effort past Fryer and into the corner. The game was now all to play for as the conditions worsened.

Both sides battled it out in the middle of the park in almost unplayable conditions. Crawley were working hard and not letting Boro have time on the ball. Chances were few and far between as the game looked to fade away.

The match ended 1-1 as Boro came away quite underwhelmed, with what should have been three points. Stevenage take on Swindon on Saturday as we look to get back to winning ways.

Stevenage XI: Fryer, Henry, Franks (Vancooten 51), Toner, Martin, Beautyman (Samuel 61), Smith, Pett, Kennedy, Godden, Newton (Whelpdale 72).

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account