Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 2-0 Port Vale

30 September 2017

Sponsored by

Boro pick up another three points...

Stevenage made it the perfect end to a perfect week as goals from Danny Newton and Jonathan Smith saw Boro to a 2-0 win at home to Port Vale.

In what could be described as the best home performance of the season, the result was never really in doubt as the game was under control from start to finish.

After two straight wins, Darren Sarll named the same starting XI for the third game in a row – an impressive feat for all those starting due to the long midweek trip to and from Carlisle.

It took a little while for Boro to settle into the game but when they did, the chances started to flow. Barnett had the first effort of the game for either side, forcing Fryer to get down low after a decent strike from 20 yards out.

Stevenage’s first opportunity came from Danny Newton as he twisted and turned his way past a whole host of Port Vale players, before shooting high and wide with his right foot.

Moments later his strike partner, Matty Godden, had a golden opportunity to put Boro ahead. After racing clear of the visiting defence, Stevenage’s star striker only had Roos in goal to beat, but after getting off his line quickly, the Vale goalkeeper made a superb stop to deny him.

It didn’t take too long for Stevenage to get the breakthrough though – Danny Newton firing past Roos after been played in by Kennedy. The young attacker receiving the ball on the half-turn before driving up the pitch and finding the killer pass. Newton’s finish was unerring, this time with his left foot, leaving Roos no chance.

Aside from a few half-chances for the visitors, Port Vale rarely threatened Fryer’s goal during the opening period. Ronnie Henry - making his 450th appearance for the club - was on hand to head away Tom Pope’s off the line and in the instances where the Valiants put the ball across the box, nobody was there to finish it off.

Stevenage continued to have the better of it and were almost rewarded with another goal before half-time - Pett forcing Roos to push away his 25 yard effort following some attractive build-up play from the attack.

Coming out of the break confidence was high, demonstrated by the team move that almost set up Newton for a second. Kennedy, Pett and Newton all involved before the striker stung the palms of Roos who managed to just about keep it out.

Shortly after though it was 2-0 - Jonathan Smith curling in a beauty from the edge of the box, leaving the Port Vale keeper no chance.

Tom Pett should have put the game out of sight almost immediately after as a quick one-two between himself and Kennedy opened up the chance from 10 yards out.

Newton soon made way for Kyle Wootton and with the team playing well and on their way to a third straight win, the atmosphere at the Lamex was at its best all season.

Godden, clearly desperate to get in on the act, saw a well struck volley fly over the bar from distance and in a rare opportunity for Port Vale, Fraser Franks - making his 100th appearance for the club - also cleared one off the line on his milestone day.

With the game under control, the final 20 minutes saw little action as Stevenage saw out a sixth win of the season and fourth clean sheet, consolidating their place in the play-off places.

Advertisement block