Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 4-1 Barnet

2 April 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 4-1 Barnet

2 April 2018

Sponsored by

Happy Easter, Stevenage fans...

Stevenage romped their way to an Easter Monday victory against Barnet to win 4-1 and get Dino Maamria’s first win as boss.

Braces from Danny Newton and Alex Revell did the job as Boro rallied from a slow start to run out comfortable winners.

Shaquille Coulthirst grabbed one back for the Bees with less than 10 minutes to go but it was too little, too late for the relegation threatened visitors.

Without doubt, the moment of the game came in the 60th minute - a stunning second goal from Newton that will surely be a contender for goal of the season.

Dino Maamria named an unchanged line-up to the side that drew at Grimsby on Good Friday, with the only change to the squad being the inclusion of top scorer, Matty Godden to the bench.

It was the Bees that got off to the faster start, desperate to claw their way away from the dreaded drop zone.

A number of early corners, crosses and general pressure almost paid off as Watson surprised everybody – including himself – when his corner clipped the top of the crossbar before going out of play.

Moments later, Joe Martin was needed for a second goal-line clearance in three days as he headed away Akpa Apro’s ball towards the back-post.

Although it took a little while, Stevenage soon settled and Ben Kennedy’s pained expression said it all as he looked to sweep in Whelpdale’s pass towards the far corner, but saw it creep agonisingly wide of the post.

Alex Nicholls fired well over from a narrow angle on 15 minutes and the game was alive and kicking amongst a feisty Derby atmosphere.

Dan Sweeney was left in far too much space over towards the right hand side of the box shortly after, but his shot was skewed and Jack King was able to clear the ball away for a corner.

One of Barnet’s best opportunities of the half came on 25 minutes as Akpa Akpro burst through midfield, only to blaze his effort high and wide from 18 yards.

As the half went on, Stevenage grew stronger and began to pin back the Bees deep in their own territory.

Luke Amos was the next Boro man to have his heads in his hands as he received the ball 20 yards out before unleashing a powerful strike that took a nick and flew just over the bar.

During a spell of pressure, Luke Wilkinson saw a huge handball appeal turned down as his goal-bound shot appeared to hit the hand of Payne. Just two minutes later, Wilkinson was at the centre of it again as his free-kick deflected just past the post.

With three minutes left in the half, Boro finally got their rewards and took the lead. Patient play from Luke Amos in the build-up before finding Kennedy out wide, who whipped in the perfect cross for Danny Newton to attack at the back-post.

Curtis Weston flashed a shot wide of the post early in the second half and after Martin Allen came out early from the break to help rally the away supporters, it was clear that there was still plenty for the Stevenage boys to do.

The action was frantic with both teams pressing, working hard and flying into challenges but the Super Boro were up for it.

Luke Amos - who was having a stormer - almost created the second as he won the ball high up the pitch before seeing his cross deflect out for a corner.

With the score at 1-0, nothing was ever certain but the game was put beyond doubt on the hour mark as two quick-fire goals made the result certain.

Danny Newton with arguably the goal of the season as he hit a stupendous first time strike on the volley from 25 yards, which rattled in off the post to make it 2-0.

A minute later, it was 3-0. Alex Revell getting in on the action for his first goal in red and white as he latched onto a slide rule pass to go one-on-one with the keeper before slotting it home with ease.

Chances continued to fall for Stevenage as recently brought on, Dale Gorman fired wide from a tight angle and the good vibes kept on coming as Matty Godden returned from injury to make way for Ben Kennedy.

Barnet did grab a consolation goal with 10 minutes to go as Shaquille Coulthirst dribbled his way towards the edge of the box before finding the bottom corner.

Dale Gorman again came close as he tried to cushion a long pass from Newton into the far corner but Dan Sweeney was back in-place to clear off the line.

With less than 5 minutes to go, the margin of victory was once again three goals as Danny Newton gave up his hat-trick to put the ball on a plate for Revell, after the two strikers broke past the Barnet defence.

A happy Easter for Stevenage fans and players alike after a four point haul across the Bank Holiday Weekend.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account