Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 0 - 2 Cambridge

14 April 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 0 - 2 Cambridge

14 April 2018

Sponsored by

The U's come out on top...

Stevenage's unbeaten run came to an end against local rivals Cambridge United, through a second half Barry Corr brace.

Boro failed to really get going throughout the contest and in the end Cambridge deserved their victory.   

There were two changes to the Starting XI from Tuesday night, with Fraser Franks coming in for Ben Sheaf and Ben Kennedy in for Chris Whelpdale. 

Just 2 minutes into the game Stevenage had the first chance of the game and it was looking promising within the early minutes. 

Danny Newton made his way down the left flank, only to pick out a lurking Ben Kennedy in the box whose headed effort at goal went straight into the hands of Forde. 

Again, just minutes later Stevenage were causing problems for the U’s, this time it was Matty Godden with a low strike into the corner, but Forde got down low to collect his effort. 

Despite their slow start, Cambridge finally matched Stevenage’s high intensity and were rewarded for it in the 10th minute with a shot from close range. 

The ball fell to Billy Waters from just 10-yards out of goal, but Tom King was determined to get in the way and make himself big to block the shot. 

The game became far more evenly matched by the 20th minute with both teams refusing to let the other get on top.

Cambridge had another chance to take to lead this time through Jevani Brown, as the centre forward skilfully opened up space just inside the box and his shot narrowly just crept past the post. 

The chance gave the visitors certainly a lift of confidence as they continued to attack the Stevenage box, but failed to find the opening through as the back four stayed compact.

Stevenage played through Cambridge’s good spell and got back to attacking the away box in the 41st minute as Alex Revell had two deflected shots at goal, which eventually went out for a corner. 

From the corner Boro had a chance to take a lead just before half-time again, this time it was Fraser Franks who climbed highest to head the ball back across goal, but no one was there to convert the open chance. 

The game remained goalless as the two sides went in for the break, both teams having good spells throughout the first 45 minutes without breaking the deadlock. 

During the second half Stevenage failed to match the same energy as they started the game and Cambridge soon got on top.

Their first chance of the second half came along in the 50th minute as Jevani Brown played in Billy Waters who opened up room to have a clean strike at goal, but Tom King reacted well to his effort and parried it out wide. 

Stevenage made their first sub of the game as Ben Kennedy made his way off the field and was replaced by Chris Whelpdale. 

The away team finally found the opener in the 54th minute as the ball fell to substitute Barry Corr, who headed it in to an open goal with his first touch of the game. 

Dino made his second change of the game in the 58th minute as striker Matty Godden was replaced by Johnny Goddard.  

Danny Newton came ever so close to bringing the score line back to level after latching onto the end of Joe Martin’s free-kick in the 61st minute, but his headed effort just went wide of the post.

Johnny Goddard nearly got his name on the score sheet in the 66th minute as he attempted a half volley effort from just inside the area, but Forde was alive to get down low and deal with the curling shot at goal. 

Dino made his third and final change of the afternoon in the 70th minute as Dale Gorman came on in place of Jack King. 

The U’s continued to play on the front foot and had a chance again in the 77th minute as Maris was ready to blast his shot at goal, but Fraser Franks was on guard to block the shot in front of goal.  

Cambridge got their second in the 85th minute after some impressive build up play in and around the box which the Stevenage defenders failed to get close to.

Eventually it ended up with Halliday breaking through into the box and putting it on a plate for Barry Corr at the back post to double their lead.

Stevenage failed to get any sort attack and goal in the closing end and Cambridge were confidently able to see off the game for the final 5 minutes. 

Match Report sponsored by Progress Suzuki.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account