Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 3 - 1 Exeter

28 April 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 3 - 1 Exeter

28 April 2018

Sponsored by

Boro finish home campaign in style...

Stevenage got back to winning ways in their final home game of the season, as they overran a promotion pushing Exeter side. 

Alex Revell walked away with the match ball after getting himself a well deserved hattrick. 

The starting line-up saw three changes from Friday’s game against Coventry, involving Joe Fryer, Terence Vancooten and Ben Kennedy coming in for Tom King, Luke Wilkinson and Jack King. 

The bench saw the inclusion of scholars Andronicos Georgiou, Dylan O’Donnell and Arthur Iontton. 

Young Luke Wade-Slater was also scheduled to start the game on the bench, however when Joe Martin picked up an injury during the warm-ups the Irishman took his place. 

The visitors started the game on the front foot, having an early chance through Jayden Stockley in the 3rd minute. 

The ball fell to the target man at the back post, but he couldn’t find the right connection on the half volley and his effort was deflected out for a corner.

Exeter were at it again just moments later in the 8th minute as Jordan Storey climbed highest to direct a header at goal in the Stevenage box, but Luke Wade-Slater was on guard to put him off balance and force his effort wide.  

Despite the Grecian’s early dominance in the first 10 minutes of the game, Stevenage were the first to open up the scoring through veteran striker Alex Revell. 

Matty Godden lead the attack and put it on a plate for his counter-part to find the back of the net in just the 14th minute. 

Stevenage were also forced to make their first substitution of the game in the 18th minute as Luke Wade-Slater was forced off the field after picking up a heavy knock. 

In his place came on first year scholar Arthur Iontton, making his first appearance for Stevenage.

Skipper Ronnie Henry was the hero at the back after Joe Fryer parried out a shot out goal to Robbie Simpson, Ronnie made a last ditch challenge to get in the way of an open goal opportunity. 

Stevenage’s first goal certainly gave Dino’s men a burst of confidence going forward and they doubled their lead in the 31st minute through Revell again.

This time all the credit went to Revell, who tirelessly pushed up the field pressurising the Exeter defence, where he won it off goalkeeper Christy Pym for a simple tap-in to make it 2-0.

Referee Dean Whitestone gave out his first yellow cards of the game to both Matty Godden and Luke Croll, after a strong tackle strong challenge on Danny Newton which involved an exchange of words between the players.  

On the brink of half-time Stevenage were still looking to increase their lead, this time through Ben Kennedy who opened up space on the edge of the box and fired at goal, but Pym reacted well to save his effort at goal. 

Dino could not have been any happier with how his team came out from the break as Alex Revell continued to cause havoc to the Exeter defence and wrapped up his hat-trick just minutes into the second half.

The in-form striker showed his cool in front of goal yet again, finding the net from a tight angle in the 48th minute. 

Joe Fryer made his first real save of the game in the 53rd minute as Exeter bombarded the box, desperately trying to get themselves back into the game. 

It was Robbie Simpson again with a close effort in front of goal, but Fryer made himself big to cover up the goal from a tight angle. 

Chris Whelpdale had a chance to get his name on score sheet in the 55th minute as he headed at goal, after getting on the end of Vancooten’s cross, but his effort didn’t trouble Pym. 

In the 67th minute the impressive Joe Fryer was called into action again as he just got enough on Edwards’ header, to tip over the bar and deny the visitors from getting their first goal of the game. 

Joe Fryer was needed once again in the 75th minute, this time he needed to get down low to parry out Jake Taylor’s curling shot for a corner. 

Exeter didn't give up and were awarded a penalty in the 78th minute after Jake Taylor was tripped inside the box by Terence Vancooten.  

Sweeney converted the spot-kick for the visitors and gave the travelling supporters something to get behind with just 10 minutes to go. 

The Grecians nearly got their second in the 81st minute after Jayden Stockley opened up space just inside the box to rifle a shot at goal, but his effort came off the topside of the woodwork. 

Scholars Georgiou and O'Donnell both came on during the latter stages of the game and it was certainly a send-off the Stevenage supporters deserved after a tough season at the Lamex.  

Plenty of positives to take into the summer for what will surely be a busy off-season.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account