Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Colchester United 1-2 Stevenage

26 December 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Colchester United 1-2 Stevenage

26 December 2018

Sponsored by

Oh what fun it is to see Boro win away...

The best present of Christmas was delivered on Boxing Day, as Stevenage picked up three points on their travels for the first time in two months, coming away from Colchester with a well deserved win. 

Before the game had even started, Dino Maamria and his men already had a hurdle to cross. After the team coach breaking down just outside of Stansted Airport, the players had to get taxis through Boxing Day sales traffic all the way into Colchester. Kick-off was delayed by 15 minutes, but that did not seem to effect Stevenage in the opening moments of the game.

Within the first five minutes, Stevenage were ahead. A Joel Byrom crossed from 30 yards out was whipped onto the penalty spot, and Ben Nugent rose highest to give Boro the lead. Much to the shock of the Colchester fans, the visiting support were sent into raptures and looked good for their lead.

The home side’s first effort on target of the game came on the 15-minute mark, with Harry Pell rising highest at a Colchester corner to head towards goal. Paul Farman had kept his place in between the sticks from Saturday, and made sure to keep the ball out.

Headers look to be Colchester’s biggest threat, with Nouble, Pell and Norris towering over the Stevenage back four and looking for the equaliser. Nouble turned provider when crossing for Norris on the penalty spot, but the forward headed wide of the far post.

Just as it looked like the goal was coming for the hosts, Stevenage were two up. Danny Newton did well to break away from a Colchester attack with the ball, and pinged a 60 yard ball across to Ben Kennedy on the left wing. The Northern Irishman laid the ball to Jamal Campbell-Ryce who crossed into Kurtis Guthrie, and the forward head back across goal for Newton to tap home.

Colchester piled the pressure on leading up to half-time, but Boro stood firm and went in two goals to the good at the break.

The second half started where the first left off. The home side were seeing more of the ball and creating goalscoring chances, but none enough to cause Paul Farman any real harm. Stevenage looked threatening on the counter attack with Kurtis Guthrie’s hold up play and Danny Newton’s pace in the behind.

Frank Nouble almost halved the deficit on the hour mark, after meeting a Norris free-kick with his head, only to see his effort over the bar.

Into the last ten minutes, and Colchester were loading the box with as many bodies as possible. Captain Cuthbert and co were standing firm and rising to the challenge.

Colchester then did get a goal back, after a corner dropped to Prosser at the back post and the centre half made no mistake. Squeaky bum time had started, but the Stevenage fans in the corner were still in full voice.

Captain Cuthbert and co stood firm to limit Colchester to any more chances. Guthrie and Revell were using their body to keep the ball up the other end as much as possible, as Seddon and Hunt were tirelessly covering the numerous crosses into the box.

Much to the delight of the travelling supporters, the referee blew his final whistle for the final time and the Boro had earnt the best Christmas present possible. What a win.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account