Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Northampton 1-1 Stevenage

15 December 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Northampton 1-1 Stevenage

15 December 2018

Sponsored by

Stevenage fought their way back from behind at Northampton on Saturday in a game that was dominated by the wild conditions in which it was played in...

Having conceded just before half-time through former Boro loanee Dean Bowditch, Stevenage stepped up to dominate the second half where they finally got their rewards through Ben Kennedy’s fifth league goal of the season.

The boss named four changes to the side that narrowly lost out to Lincoln last week with goalkeeper Farman coming in for Dieng, Guthrie coming in for Campbell-Ryce following his three game suspension whilst Hunt and Henry replaced Nugent and Vancooten.

Freezing condition at Sixfields meant for a sloppy start to proceedings with both sides struggling to keep hold of possession in the pouring rain. Set-pieces were always likely to play a big part in the game and Kurtis Guthrie was first to threaten with a header that flew wide from Joel Byrom’s free-kick.

Northampton soon got on-top though and had two great chances within a matter of minutes. Former Boro loanee, Dean Bowditch firing over from six yards before Buchanan curled a dangerous looking shot wide from the edge of the box.

Boro had their moments throughout the first half and Guthrie again came close to heading in from a set-piece but the Cobblers were knocking on the door. Pierre arguably missed the chance of the half, failing to connect with an inviting ball across the six yard box which the centre-back missed completely.

Just as it looked like Stevenage would head into the break on level terms, it was Bowditch who found the net with a quick turn and shot inside the box to send Northampton 1-0 up on the stroke of half-time.

Maamria’s men came out for the second half an improved team and took the game to the hosts immediately. Byrom and Guthrie both with chances inside the opening ten minutes, both deflected away for corners. Guthrie, who was a serial threat from pieces got his head onto the subsequent corner from which his chance deflected behind from.

Desperate for some fresh impetus, Maamria made a double sub with 20 minutes remaining, bringing on Sonupe and Newton for Hunt and Revell.

Newton almost made an immediate impact, driving into the box from the left hand side before curling wide with his less-favoured right foot.

All throughout the second half Stevenage were getting closer and closer and it finally paid off on 75 minutes. After Newton chased down a weak back-pass from Pierre to Cornell in goal, the Cobblers stopper slipped with his clearance, skewing the ball out to Kennedy from outside the box. Whilst there was chaos going on all around him, Kennedy took his time, picked his spot and lofted the ball home before celebrating with the travelling supporters behind the goal.

A nasty looking injury to Michael Timlin meant for a sour ending to the game but all-in-all it marked a satisfying result for Stevenage who picked up a valuable point at a ground in which the club has had little success over the years.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account