Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 0-1 Swindon

30 January 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 0-1 Swindon

30 January 2018

Sponsored by

Not our night...

Stevenage's ten game unbeaten run at the Lamex came to an end as Swindon Town saw out a dogged 1-0 win on Tuesday night.

Ollie Banks’ first half header put the visitors ahead, and on a night where injuries played their part - both before the game and during - Stevenage's young guns never really looked like finding a route back into the game.

Darren Sarll named an unchanged starting XI from the win on Saturday against the Spireites.

The bench saw the inclusion of new Tottenham Hotspur loanee Luke Amos, after his arrival yesterday.

The boys looked to continue their dominant home performances right from the get go, but were equally match by a full of confidence Swindon side.

The Robins showed early signs of danger and held majority of the possession in the early stages of the game and had several set-play opportunities.

After a stop-start opening 15 minutes, Swindon were rewarded for their energetic start in the 16th minute as Ollie Banks climbed the highest to get on the end of a corner and give the visitors the lead.

The goal certainly gave the travelling Robins a boost of confidence as they continued to match Stevenage all over the park. 

Danny Newton was forced off in the 32nd minute after picking up a hard knock as he was replaced by Tom Conlon. 

Tom Conlon brought an instant bright spark to the side as the midfielder received plenty of the ball in just minutes of coming onto the field.

Set-plays certainly seemed the most likely way of scoring as both teams failed to create any clear-cut chances in the first half of the game.

Luke Amos entered the play after skipper Ronnie Henry showed clear signs that something was not right with his hamstring.

As half-time came, the headed goal by Banks was the only thing to separate the two sides going into the break.

Stevenage came out of the half-time with a more composed approach, with a few half-chances being created including Franks’ delivery into the box, which just missed his intended target Matty Godden.

Despite Boro’s winning possession, creating chances proved to be a difficult task as the Swindon defence dealt with all incoming threats and would not allow the boys any room going forward.

The next chance of the game went to the visitors in the 63rd minute, as Purkiss tried to pick out the bottom corner, but his effort never troubled Tom King.

Darren made his third and final sub of the game in the 66th minutes as Mark McKee made way for Jamie Gray. 

It was nearly a first touch to remember for young Jamie Gray as he attempted a very ambitious effort from far our, that just curled wide of the post. 

As the game went on the Swindon defence continued to keep the forwards at bay, despite Boro’s best efforts to try and open up their back four. 

Equally Swindon failed to show much sign of danger in the second half, Tom King and his defensive line dealt with the minimal amount of chances the visitors created.

In the end Stevenage didn’t do enough to really test goalkeeper Charles-Cook and the Robins came out on top in a game that won’t live long in the memory.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account