Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Port Vale 2-2 Stevenage

17 March 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Port Vale 2-2 Stevenage

17 March 2018

Sponsored by

Two points and two goals dropped at Vale Park...

Stevenage were made to settle for a point at Port Vale as for the second week in a row, a two goal lead was snatched away.

Luke Amos and Ben Kennedy both scored early in each half, but as the snowy conditions worsened, so did Stevenage's chances as Vale rallied in the second half to draw level in the contest.

Darren Sarll named three changes to the side that drew 2-2 at home to Crewe the previous weekend, Wilmot (International Duty), McKee & Bowditch (injuries) out for Wilkinson, Smith and Kennedy.

Boro got off to the dream start – Luke Amos firing Stevenage ahead inside ten minutes. Jonathan Smith slipping in the Spurs loanee who stroked the ball home under Boot to make it 1-0.

Within a matter of seconds, it could have been two. Johnny Goddard getting his shot away inside a crowded area, a Port Vale deflection taking the ball just wide of the post.

During an action-packed few minutes, Vale went right up the other end and Boro had Tom King to thank for some superb work as he made himself big to deny Harness one-on-one.

Stevenage kept up the tempo and worked another couple of chances during the opening 30 minutes. Newton smashed over from the edge of the box and then Goddard couldn’t keep his curling strike down after being played in over the top by King.

Port Vale certainly had their moments though and could barely believe they hadn’t scored when a goalline scrambled ensued in the Stevenage box. Both Harness and Forrester saw well hit shots blocked and then saved.

Just before the half was up, Dave Worrall’s diving header fell wide of the post and Stevenage went into the break with a well-deserved 1-0 lead.

Conditions worsened during the interval and Vancooten was forced off for Franks, but Stevenage came out on fire once again. Ben Kennedy with a quick turn and shot from 12 yards which resulted in Boro’s second goal without reply.

With last week’s game still fresh in the memory, there was still plenty of work to do for Darren Sarll’s side and it got a whole lot harder just 10 minutes later.

Half-time substitute, Donovan Wilson smashing in from a few yards out after a good cross by Hannant into the box.

With the home crowd alive, Vale put the pressure on as a snow storm swirled around Vale Park. Fraser Franks was forced off for Chris Whelpdale with 20 minutes to go meaning an unusual right-back appearance for the experienced winger.

Any fears were realised with 15 minutes left as Luke Hannant found the top corner from the edge of the box, drawing the two sides level at 2-2.

The game had to be delayed on a couple of occasions to allow Groundstaff to remark the pitch lines as a snow storm swirled around the stadium. Stevenage struggled to deal with the change in momentum along with the difficult conditions.

Boro began to settle down again as the game came to a close but the boys couldn’t muster one final chance as it ended 2-2.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account