Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 0-1 Colchester

24 March 2018

Sponsored by

Tough start under the new boss...

It was a disapointing first game under Dino Maamria as Stevenage failed to get back to their best under the new boss.

After Mikael Mandron opened the scoring for Colchester in the first half, in a game of few chances, there was no coming back for Boro.

The team news saw the return of skipper Ronnie Henry, Chris Whelpdale and Luke Wilkinson back into the starting XI. 

Alex Revell also made his return to the side, after his 4-game suspension finally came to an end.

Colchester started the game on the front foot, keeping hold of possession during the early exchanges and in the 26th minute, they were rewarded for their positive start.

Mikael Mandron prodding home from inside the 6 yard box after the U's got in-behind the Stevenage defence.

Minutes later, Boro had their first real attack of the game as Luke Wilkinson found Danny Newton beyond the Colchester back-four, but as the striker looked to get the ball into the box, the visitors were on guard to deal with the danger.

Another chance for the visitors came along in the 36th minute, as Sammie Szmodics broke through the defence to get a shot at goal, but his effort narrowly crept pass the post.  

Colchester held onto their lead as the two teams went into the break - surely plenty for Dino Maamria to think about in his first half-time team talk.   

Stevenage made their first sub during the break as Luke Amos made his way onto the field in place of Johnny Goddard.

Captain Ronnie Henry was needed to make a vital interception just minutes into the second half, as the U’s got the ball into a dangerous position just a few yards out from goal.

Revell had possibly Boro's best chance of the game straight out the half as Chris Whelpdale played him in down the right side. The veteran forward tried his luck from an ambitious angle and his effort floated over the bar.

Colchester had a pot shot effort in the 58th minute as the ball fell to Ryan Jackson from a long way out, however his shot never looked like hitting the target as it fizzed away from goal. 

The second half proved to be another tough battle for Stevenage, with the away side looking more comfortable on the ball.

Dino made his second sub of the afternoon in the 60th minute, as Tom Conlon made his first appearance back for the Boro since returning from loan at Billericay, with Chris Whelpdale making way.

The final throw of the dice saw Jonathan Smith being replaced by young forward, Joe White in the 76th minute.

Luke Amos nearly brought the score back to level in the 77th minute, as he attempted the half volley from just outside the box, but his effort just went wide of the post. 

With 10 minutes to go, the boys pushed on to try and claw back a late equaliser, but despite their best efforts they could not break down a stubborn Colchester defence.

Advertisement block