Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 0-8 Charlton

9 October 2018

Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 0-8 Charlton

9 October 2018

Sponsored by

Onto Newport...

Stevenage were handed a humbling defeat to League One Charlton Athletic in the Checkatrade Trophy as Lee Bowyer’s outfit made sure it was a night to forget.

Dino Maamria’s inexperienced side, made up mainly of fringe players and youngsters were no match for the Addicks as they swept Stevenage aside to win 8-0 on the night.

The result means that Boro's hopes for a route into the next round remain in their hands, as they sit second in the group with just AFC Wimbledon still to face.

The manager named nine changes to the side that faced Colchester at the weekend, only James Ball and Terence Vancooten keeping their place in the side that beat out the U’s 3-1.

It was a young Stevenage team, lacking in experience which was in contrast to a strong Charlton outfit that looked to mean business early on.

Despite that, the first chance of the game fell to Academy graduate Andronicos Georgiou who curled a well-hit effort over the bar from 20 yards out.

That was about as close as Boro woud come to scoring though as Charlton dominated the first half, playing some impressive football in the process.

It took until 26 minutes for Appleyard’s goal to be breached – an ugly effort as Pratley smashed home from close range following a goal-line scramble that Stevenage just couldn’t clear.

It didn’t take long before it was two. Stevenson arriving at the back-post after the Addicks worked the ball brilliantly into the attacking third.

Efforts from Ferry and Newton followed but neither looked to trouble Phillips in goal as Charlton continued their march towards three points with a third before half-time.

Nicky Ajose this time heading in to make it 0-3 to the visitors at the break.

Unfortunately the second half continued much in the same vein as it soon became four, five and then six nil.

Igor Vetekole and George Lapsley first to notch before Stevenson grabbed his brace with a stunning effort from long distance.

Substitutes Alex Reid and James Ferry did their best to make a positive impact but it was proving a task too far for Stevenage as the League One visitors showed no mercy in-front of goal.

If we were to draw positive from the evening it would have been the debut of 17 year old First Year Scholar, Liam Smyth who came on for Sonupe with 30 minutes to go.

Stevenson completed his hat-trick on 75 minute from the penalty spot and before the end of the game Lapsley fired in following tricky play by Nicky Ajose to make it 0-8.

Mercifully, that was the end of the scoring as Stevenage switch their attention to a crunch game towards the top of Sky Bet League Two on Saturday, away at Newport County.


Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account