Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 0-1 Cambridge

1 September 2018

Sponsored by

Onto Macclesfield...

Stevenage slumped to a 0-1 defeat at home to Cambridge United on Saturday as the U’s recorded a third straight win over Boro.

In a game that seemed to lack both energy and quality, Maamria’s men never really got going and as such, Amoo’s first half goal was enough to separate the two sides.

The Manager named five changes from the previous weekend’s defeat at Yeovil, most notably bringing in James Ferry and former scholar, Andronicos Georgiou, both starting their first ever league games for the club.

Boro got off to a slow start and were ultimately punished for it in the 15th minute. After an uncharacteristic error by Farman saw the goalkeeper spill Brown’s initial shot, Iberhe was abe to get his cross in for Amoo who had a simple back-post finish to give Cambridge the lead.

Boro struggled to get any momentum going throughout the first half and despite neither side looking likely to score, it was the visitors who were more cohesive with their attacks.

Lambe headed over the bar on 30 minutes following a pin-point cross from Halliday and in truth that was as close to either side came to adding to the score in the first half.

At half-time Sonupe came on for recently signed Seddon as Stevenage changed both personnel and shape in the chase for an equaliser.

The changes brought about an improved performance from the team as they began to look much more dangerous throughout the half, helped by the introductions of Kennedy and Guthrie before the hour mark.

Cambridge continued to cause a threat though and not for the first time in the game, Lambe skewed a header wide when he should have done better. Moments on from that, if it wasn't for Henry’s timely challenge with 20 minutes to go, Iberhe would have surely been in for a second Cambridge goal.

Luke Wilkinson missed his own header shortly after as he connected with Byrom’s corner but the centre-back couldn’t keep his effort down.

The ever-dangerous Lambe wrapped an ambition effort just wide of the post from all of 30 yards out as both sides went on the search for a pivotal second goal.

The closest Stevenage would come to an equaliser came with just minutes to go, as Sonupe worked wanders out wide to skip past a whole host of Cambridge players, before forcing the save from Forde. As the ball ricochet inside the box, no Boro man could turn it in from close range.

Stevenage will have to make amends in seven days time when Macclesfield visit the Lamex Stadium as Cambridge took home all three points.

Advertisement block