Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 0-1 Exeter

10 August 2019

Jim Steele

Nicky Law grabbed all three points for Exeter City on Saturday as the visitors snatched a 1-0 result against Stevenage to leave both teams at the opposite ends of the table after just two games...

Both teams started the season differently with Stevenage looking to put right to their opening day defeat at Salford whilst Exeter were looking to build from their winning start against Macclesfield.

After a first-half in which posession and territory were equally shared amongst the two sides, it was Exeter who came on stronger in the final minutes to ultimately win the match. Boro had their moments throughout the contest, but that final pass or shot when it mattered most was sadly lacking.

Dino Maamria named four home debutants into his starting line-up as Chris Stokes, Tom Soares, Noor Husin and Paul Taylor all made the cut.

The game kicked off end to end as both teams created chances inside the opening 10 minutes. Paul Taylor thought he scored on his home debut after latching onto a rebounded shot from Danny Newton, only to be denied from Lewis Ward with a crucial save. Right down the other end, Randell Williams saw his left-footed shot sail over Farman’s right-hand post.

Neither team were able to take control of possession and make the most of their chances after 30 minutes, but it was Exeter that had the best opportunity at goal. Farman, acrobatically, pushing away a Williams’ freekick that was arrowing into the back of the net. That meant for a goalless first half as both teams entered the tunnel for the break.

Williams, who was causing mayhem down the right-flank all evening, skipped past Stokes early in the second before looking to play in a teammate before Arthur Iontton did brilliantly to get in-front of his man and clear away.

Dean Parrett and Kurtis Guthrie soon made their way onto the pitch as they replaced Noor Husin and Danny Newton, and soon after Soares picked up a yellow card for a high tackle in the middle of the pitch, he was replaced by Jason Cowley for his competitive debut.

Tom Soares picked up a yellow and gave away a freekick in a dangerous area in the 74th minute and it was Williams again, who delivered a wonderful floating cross that could have gone anywhere but Iontton headed it away for a corner.

One of Boro's best openings in the second half came in the 81st minute as Kurtis Guthrie broke through the opposition defence and found himself beaming down at goal from a tight angle, but his low shot was saved much to the home crowd's frustration.

Tensions almost reached boiling point as both teams waited for an Exeter corner and shortly after, Exeter broke the deadlock in the 88th minute from a stunning shot from outside the box as Nicky Law gave Farman no chance to make the save. 

A disapointing start to the season for Stevenage who are next in action on Tuesday night as the Carabao Cup and Southend United come to town.


WhatsApp Image 2019-08-05 at 14.27.00.jpeg

Advertisement block