Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Cambridge 2-0 Stevenage

5 January 2019

Sponsored by

Pete Norton

Stevenage fell to defeat at the Abbey Stadium once again as two first half Cambridge United goals made the difference on Derby Day..

A poor first half proving costly for Maamria's men as Boro simply took too long to get going and were duly punished by the up-for-it U’s.

An improved showing in the second half followed but Colin Calderwood's crew were able to manage the game and see out his second win in charge.

The Manager named two changes to the side that beat Newport on New Years Day, bringing in Timlin and Revell for Hunt and the suspended Guthrie.

It was another hesitant start from Stevenage as the home side were the first to settle. They should have gone ahead inside six minutes after good play between Halliday and Amoo allowed the Cambridge winger to play the ball across the six yard box for the waiting Maris, only for James-Wildin to get back into position and clear his effort off the line.

Stevenage responded with some positive play inside the Cambridge half but the ball wouldn’t quite fall for a man in red and white as the hosts soon got back on top.

David Amoo was the main danger man and his running down the right created another early chance for the U’s, pulling the ball back to Maris again from the edge of the box whose shot went straight at Farman.

Boro were having to dig in to keep the scores level but when the ball was played into the final third, you could see that there were opportunities in the making for Stevenage. Danny Newton could have found an opener if he were to have directed his header either side of Forde in goal.

Stevenage fans were fearing the worst on 28 minutes when late call-up, Paul Lewis went over in the penalty area, only for referee Trevor Kettle to caution the Cambridge fan for simulation.

It was proving to be a difficult first half for Boro and eventually, Cambridge would make it count. David Amoo running through on goal after 36 minutes before taking it around Farman to finish into an empty net.

With five minutes remaining in the half, Stevenage had another half chance to pull themselves level but the Cambridge defence were on-guard to prevent Kennedy’s cross from finding Revell, after good work from Newton to close down the U’s defence and win the ball high up the pitch.

Just as the whistle was about to blow, Cambridge piled on the misery as Jevani Brown fired through a crowded area to make it 2-0 at half-time.

The Manager made a double substitution at half-time, bringing on Sonupe and Campbell-Ryce for Kennedy and Iontton and it appeared to be just what the team needed.

Stevenage’s performance levels increased after the break and Campbell-Ryce in particular was having a big impact down the left. Unfortunately for Boro, the U’s defence were up to the task as the winger swung ball and ball into the penalty area, all cleared away.

Danny Newton sneaked in-between goalkeeper and defender to almost tee-up a teammate but once again Cambridge scrambled to block the route to goal before Sonupe’s shot was eventually deflected out for a corner.

Iberhe could have killed the game with 15 minutes to go as he was played through-on-goal, but Farman was out quick to deny the striker, spreading his body and getting out quickly to make the block.

17 year old scholar Liam Smyth entered the fray with 81 minutes on the clock as Maamria played his final roll of the dice, bringing off centre-back Scott Cuthbert.

Nugent and Newton both have opportunities to cut the deficit inside the remaining minutes but it wasn't to be as a disapointing day ended without the hope of an equaliser and the U's continued their recent dominance over Boro.


Advertisement block