Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Boro overcome Berko challenge

15 January 2019

Match Reports

REPORT: Boro overcome Berko challenge

15 January 2019

Sponsored by

Job done...

Goals either side of half-time from Marcus Gouldbourne and Alex Reid secure Boro's place in the next round of the Herts Senior Cup.

Jason Goodliffe was in the gaffer’s seat at the Broadwater Stadium, and named a similar side to the one that beat Sawbridgeworth 7-0 in the previous round.

Ollie Byrne made his Stevenage debut in goal, after signing on loan from Blackburn in the week. The back four consisted of Vancooten, Henry, Wilkinson and Field; while the midfield had Gouldbourne and Georgiou on the wings, with Switters and Okoye in the middle of the park. Reid and Smyth continued their Herts Senior Cup partnership up top, after both bagged hattricks last time out. 

The first chance of the game went to the Football League visitors, and after a drilled low cross form Georgiou on the right, Alex Reid’s conversion smashed against the near post and behind.

Andronicos Georgiou’s crosses seemed to be Stevenage biggest threats going forward. This time from a corner, his cross landed straight onto Luke Wilkinson’s head, but the defender could only see his header wide of the far post.

Unsurprisingly, the first goal of the game went to the visitors, with a wonder strike from Marcus Gouldbourne. The midfielder picked up the ball midway inside the Berkhamsted half, and under no pressure, struck the sweetest of strikes into the top left corner.

The hosts then had a chance of their own. Captain Max Farrelly timed his run to perfection to meet the cross on the edge of the box, but he finessed effort clipped the outside the of near post and behind.

Just before the break, Liam Smyth troubled the Berko stopper with a powerful left footed strike, but the stopper gathered at the second attempt.

Half-time came and Boro were edging the lead.

Straight away in the second half, Liam Smyth thought he had doubled Stevenage’s advantage with a well struck volley from inside the area, but was flagged for offside by the linesman.

Stevenage then had to wait a while for some breathing space, when with just under 15 minutes to go, Alex Reid doubled Boro’s advantage. The forward broke through the defence and chipped the goalkeeper, getting taken out in the process.

Alex Reid had to chance to make it three and confirm Boro’s place into the next round with five minutes to go. Great pressing play from substitute Jack Smith earnt Liam Smyth the ball down the right flank, before crossing into the six yard box. Reid met the ball, but fired high and wide of the goal.

The referee blew for full-time and Stevenage had done the job they came to do. Boro face Cheshunt in the next round of the Herts Senior Cup, ticket details will be announced in due course.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account