Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Scunthorpe 0-0 Stevenage

2 November 2019

Luke Broughton
Match Reports

Report: Scunthorpe 0-0 Stevenage

2 November 2019

Sponsored by

Stevenage picked up a point at Scunthorpe on Saturday in a goalless draw that could have been more...

Boro forced the issue throughout the match and saw a number of superb opportunities squandered, particularly in the final 15 minutes, in another positive performance from Mark Sampson’s men.

The Interim Manager named three changes from the side that won 1-0 against Morecambe last time out in Sky Bet League Two. Paul Farman returned from suspension whilst Charlie Carter and Michael Timlin came into the starting XI in place of Jason Cowley and Ben Nugent.

Stevenage came out from the blocks quickly and almost had an opening inside just three minutes, as Guthrie was released down the right-hand side of the box behind the defence, but his pass across for Carter was well defended by the recovering Iron defender. An ambitious snap-shot on the turn from the edge of the area by Parrett flew wide of the post soon after, but it was a positive start from Sampson’s men.

Scunthorpe’s first chance of the match came on 20 minutes, as Kevin Van Veen forced Paul Farman into a tricky stop from a free-kick positioned centrally, 20 yards out, making the keeper get down to his left to parry the ball away.

A few minutes later, Parrett’s corner resulted in the best chance of the match up to that point, a powerful header from Carter – looking to score his second such goal of the week – that the goalkeeper was equal to.

Good hold up play by Lakin allowed Denton to get in down the left with 15 minutes left in the half, but his cross to Guthrie - lurking at the back-post - was slightly overhit which meant the chance was somewhat wasted.

Carter was proving to be instrumental and with the minutes dwindling down before the break, a well-hit strike with his left foot from 18 yards forced Eastwood into another good save, down to his left.

With less than a minute remaining, Scunthorpe had a rare shot on goal, this time via Colclough, whose deflected strike from distance had the crowd ‘oohing’, thankfully landing over the bar and into the travelling Stevenage supporters.

Right out from the restart, Carter had another golden opportunity with his head, this time clawed away at the back-post by Eastwood, who got across just in the nick of time.

Songo’o had a gilt edged chance with his head right down the other end – again from a corner – this time planting his effort over the bar. Scunthorpe would soon get on top of the match, penning Boro back into their own half but to little effect. Boro rode that 10 minute wave though and proceedings began to get extremely scrappy, in the worsening conditions.

With 20 minutes left, Guthrie looked to have found the match winner with a brilliant piece of skill to pluck the ball out of the air and strike on the half volley. After bringing the ball down with his head from 15 yards out, the striker took the ball under control before hitting just wide of the post.

The match began to heat up as it approched its conclusion and Farman had to be on his toes to back-pedal and palm the ball over the bar, when an over-hit cross looked to be creeping in. Then, with just over 10 minutes left, a Vancooten low cross to the back-post missed everyone and reached Watts, who couldn’t adjust his feet in time and failed to hit the target.

Stevenage ended the game by far the stronger and were all over Scunthorpe throughout the final 10 minutes.

Guthrie came the width of the post away from finding a winner when his low drive to the back-post skimmed just wide of the woodwork. He headed just wide of the post with less than a minute to go and by the time the final whistle blew, although a good point for Boro, it felt like an opportunity missed.


WhatsApp Image 2019-10-31 at 11.55.36 (1).jpeg

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account