Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-1 Cambridge United

28 September 2019

Jim Steele
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-1 Cambridge United

28 September 2019

Sponsored by

Stevenage are still in the search for their first win of the season as goals in either half made sure the points were shared on Derby Day.

Elliot List made it a dream start to the game as he scored inside the first ten minutes of the first half.

Cambridge threw everything at Stevenage in the second half, as Sam Smith levelled the match late on in the second half.

Interim Manager Mark Sampson called upon Noor Husin, Chris Stokes and Ben Nugent, as they replaced Tyler Denton, Ben Kennedy and Arthur Iontton from their draw at Forest Green.

Stevenage wasted no time putting the pressure on the Cambridge defence as they started the more aggressive team. Elliot List was working wonders down the left-wing as his speed and skill had the home fans off their seats early on. List played an early, low driven shot coming in from the wing inside ten minutes, that deflected off a Cambridge defender and into the back of the net for the opening goal.

Michael Timlin lived up to the reputation of Derby Day as referee Will Finnie brandished the first yellow card in the 19th minute for a heavy challenge on Sam Smith.

Just before the half hour mark, Cambridge started to get more of the ball when George Maris’ bending effort looked to be going into the bottom left hand corner, but was denied by Paul Farman.    

Moments later, Luther James Wildin was forced off with an injury as Arthur Iontton replaced the right-back and Charlie Carter moved into his place.

Cambridge ended the half with successive corners, but the Stevenage players blocked and threw their bodies at everything coming their way as the home side went into half-time leading.

The second half started off as any Derby should when Jack Roles left a late boot on Chris Stokes and was booked within five minutes of the second half.

Minutes later, the atmosphere was cranked up to another level as Mark Richards thought he levelled the match, but to the away fan’s frustration, the goal was ruled out for offside. Cambridge didn’t stop there as George Taft had his headed effort cannon off the bar in the 60th minute.

The game was becoming end to end when Jason Cowley broke away from the Cambridge defence, but his effort flew over the bar. Down the other end, again it could have been level as Smith beat his man down the left-flank and found Richards all alone, but he couldn’t turn it in.

20 minutes left, and Cowley could have been nominated for another Puskas award as looked to lob Mitov from the halfway line, but his shot fell into the arms of the keeper. With reply, moans were ringing around the away end as Paul Lewis saw his effort crash of the post.

With the last ten minutes of the match, Smith equalised as he was picked out in the box and scored in front of the away end. Farman pulled off a crucial save with minutes left to play as Cambridge looked to score the winner, but the keeper got down to his right-hand side to claw away the shot.


Academy Day 16x9.png

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account