Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 1-0 Cambridge United

29 December 2020

Match Reports

REPORT: Stevenage 1-0 Cambridge United

29 December 2020

Sponsored by

Stevenage recorded their third win of the season, beating rivals Cambridge United 1-0 courtesy of a first half Charlie Carter goal...

Alex Revell named four changes from Saturday's point at Cheltenham as Ben Coker, Remeao Hutton and Tom Pett all returned to the starting eleven after recovering fully from their COVID lay-offs, while Jack Aitchison was handed a start after last weekend's goal off the bench. Luther James-Wildin, Romain Vincelot, Elliott List and Aramide Oteh began proceedings on the bench.

​Both sides settled into the game as Boro started brightest, with Tom Pett and Jack Aitchison retaining possession in forward areas inside the opening few minutes. 

Cambridge produced the first shot of the contest as Kyle Knoyle surged down the right-hand side before delivering a low cross into Joe Ironside who lost his footing, dragging his effort just wide of Jamie Cumming's post. 

Ironside caused problems once more in the 18th minute, twisting and turning in the box before being closed down by an onrushing Scott Cuthbert. 

Boro posed a threat to Cambridge and found an opener after 22 minutes, as a long throw-in resulted in a goal-mouth scramble which was finished off by Charlie Carter, striking into the top left corner. 

Cambridge had a chance of their own on 30 minutes with Adam May shooting from distance, fizzing the gloves of Cumming who parried to safety. 

Stevenage searched for a second with Carter once more causing problems, surging towards the visitor's box before being forced back by the Cambridge defence. 

The second half commenced and Danny Newton produced the half's first shot on target which was collected calmly by Callum Burton in the centre of the goal. 

Arthur Read saw an ambitious effort from outside the box sail over and Aitchison had a volley tipped aside by Burton as Boro came close to adding a second. 

The U's created little chances in the second half, piling on pressure that was dealt with successfully by Boro. 

Cambridge nearly snatched an equaliser in the dying seconds, as Harry Darling's point black shot was blocked by a sliding Terence Vancootoen. 

The time ticked by and Boro were able to hold on to secure a derby day win, a result that lifts Alex Revell's men off the foot of the table.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account