Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 0-0 Oldham

14 January 2020

Jim Steele

The points were shared at home against on Tuesday evening in a goalless draw against Oldham Athletic...

Both sides had their opportunities to win, the Latics with the better of the first half before Boro had the better of the second, but with the match being played in chaotic conditions, it was always going to be a night of few chances and plenty of fight in the middle of the park.

Stevenage got off to a good start in the game, creating the first chances during the opening five minute during a frenetic start to proceedings. Good work down the left hand side allowed Leesley to pull the ball back for the on-rushing Carter who couldn’t quite poke the ball home in amongst a crowded six yard box. Digby almost connected to the resulting corner with his head, and when the ball fell back into the danger area it sparked a goalmouth scramble which again was just about cleared.

Jonny Smith had Oldham’s first half-chance, a speculative shot from 18 yards out at a narrow angle, that moved in the wind and formed Farman to palm away. Another quickly followed as a deflective effort ricocheted away for a corner.

The weather was causing chaos with strong winds and heavy rain, as both sides struggled to build together attacks. Oldham were enjoying the better of the territory with the wind behind them, but Boro’s defence were holding firm.

On 35 minutes, Segbe Azankpo headed in from close range after a brilliant cross from the left-hand side, but the Assistant had raised his flag for offside.

List and then Guthrie had a brilliant double chance with 39 minutes gone, as Carter played List in down the left hand side, whose shot was parried into the air for Guthrie to attack with his head, but his header fell the wrong side of the post.

A promising counter-attack went by the wayside soon after, as Leesley broke down the middle, but a poor pass out wide to Guthrie saw it stall, with List running down the middle, not seen.

With the wind behind them in the second half, Boro again started on the front-foot. A fine ball across the box by Lakin almost allowed List to prod home but the ball took a deflection and trickled through to the goalkeeper.

With 50 minutes on the clock, Leesley unleashed a fierce strike that had substitute goalkeeper De La Paz scrambling and beating away to deny what looked like was going to be a certain goal. N’Guessan then went right down the other end, dragging his own shot wide of Farman’s near-post.

James-Wildin came close to recreating recent history with a long-range strike that flew narrowly wide of the Oldham goal as Stevenage began to dominate proceedings, looking for that crucial opening goal.

Elliott List, who picked up a knock during the first half, soon made way for Jason Cowley but Azankpo came close to scoring for the visitors, latching onto Smith’s low cross at the near-post, only to find the side netting.

Farman was once again putting himself in the conversation for Man of the Match, not overworked but making a number of crucial saves throughout the contest. None more so impotant

With 14 minutes to go, De La Paz denied Lakin with an unbelievable save down to his near-post, parrying away a first time shot after great work from Cowley inside the area to cause chaos amongst the Oldham defence.

It was a much more dangerous second half from the Stevenage attacke and Heads were in hands two minutes later, as Guthrie hit the crossbar with a header from close range as the pressure continued to mount.

Ben Kennedy replaced Michael Timlin with 10 minutes to go and aside from a Cowley header that De La Paz forced wide, neither side could carve out that final golden chance as Boro had to make do with a point once again.

Advertisement block