Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-2 Bolton

21 November 2020

Sponsored by

Jim Steele

Stevenage fell to defeat in Sky Bet League Two this afternoon, with Alex Revell's side losing 2-1 to Bolton Wanderers at the Lamex Stadium...

After falling behind by two goals, Tom Pett's strike just before the half gave Stevenage life who pushed for a second throughout the second half, to no avail.

Alex Revell named six changes from the side that played Northampton Town on Tuesday, with Scott Cuthbert, Ross Marshall, Ben Coker, Arthur Read, Charlie Carter, Tom Pett and Aramide Oteh coming in to the team.

Boro started on the front foot and had an excellent penalty shout dismissed by referee Will Finnie as Tom Pett was clipped in the box by an onrushing Alex Baptiste to no avail. 

Stevenage academy products Arthur Iontton and Jack Smith retained thier places in the squad from Tuesday's game and the pair looked promising from the off, retaining possession in midfield for Boro.  

Bolton managed to grab the first goal of the contest after 13 minutes though, as Antoni Sarcevic's acrobatic kick was saved by Jamie Cumming, only to fall into the path of Eoin Doyle who stabbed home his fourth goal of the season from close range.

The visitors came close to a second minutes later with a Sarcevic corner finding the head of Alex Baptiste who was denied by an outstretched hand of Cumming, tipping Baptiste's header onto the post. 

Bolton added a second after 36 minutes as a quick counter attack saw Gethin Jones dart into the Stevenage box before passing across goal into the path of unmarked Ali Crawford, calmy dispatching past a helpless Cumming. 

Just as the contest was beginning to look lost, Boro halved the deficit on the stroke of half time after Aramide Oteh wriggled past his man out wide before drilling a cross into Tom Pett, who strook the ball home into the top corner for his first goal since returning to Stevenage.

Bolton started the second half on the front foot, spurning a great chance to restore thier two goal cushion after Baptiste released Doyle on the edge of the box, shooting into the hands of Cumming.

Stevenage pushed the travelling Whites all second half though and Arthur Read found space in the area on 52 minutes, before passing to Newton on the edge of the box, who drilled a powerful low shot at goal which Gilks saved well. 

Boro continued to chip away at the visitors defence, coming close once again on the hour mark with Ben Coker's high cross reaching Danny Newton, who headed just wide of goal.

Bolton nearly caught Boro out with a counter attack for a second time as Gethin Jones received the ball out wide, fizzing an effort towards goal that was parried to safety by Cumming. 

Then, Pett had the chance of the half on 74 minutes, curling a shot goalwards which was excellently saved by the fingertips of Matt Gilks.  

Tom Pett was charging Stevenage forward in the dying stages, winning a foul on the edge of the Bolton box late on, but the Stevenage goalscorer failed to challenge Gilks with the resulting set-piece.

Despite five minutes of added time, Boro failed to find a decisive second goal as the Trotters left the Lamex Stadium with all three points. Next up for Alex Revell's side is the challenge of Port Vale on Tuesday.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account