Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Swindon Town 0-0 Stevenage

29 December 2021

Stevenage share a point with Swindon Town as they fail to break the deadlock at The County Ground...

In the first game back after the Christmas break Stevenage travelled away to take on 8th place Swindon Town. This was Swindon’s first game since the 11th of December after suffering two back to back losses to Barrow AFC and Leyton Orient. Stevenage on the other hand were looking to pick up there first 3 points since the 20thNovember. One change in Paul Tisdale’s team saw youngster Owen Cochrane come out of the side and Luther James-Wildin come back into the line-up.

At a packed out County Ground on a Wednesday night. Stevenage had the first of the chance, On the 8thminute mark a long shot from Jake Reeves caused problems for keeper Jojo Wollacott when the ball ricocheted of his chest into the path of Elliott List who saw his shot saved from up close.

At the 20 minute mark Swindon’s started to grow into the game as captain Jack Payne saw his shot from outside the box fly just wide of the Stevenage post. Stevenage came straight back and after some tricky feet Chris Lines won his team a freekick on the edge of the area. The resulting free kick saw Luke Prossers Headed effort go just wide of the post.

Stevenage continued to pile on the pressure and on 32 minutes Luke Norris fired a shot from the edge of the box, once again causing Wollacott issues and after parrying the ball List was inches away from the putting the ball into the Swindon net, only to be stopped by a strong Swindon challenge by Rob Hunt to keep the score 0-0.

Five minutes later Luke Norris once again causing issues for the Swindon defence after a floating free kick from Chris lines found a Norris head at the back stick witch grazed the post and went wide.

Swindon came out the stronger of the two sides after the break and ten minutes into the second half Swindon’s Jack Payne let one fly from long range only to be blocked by captain Scott Cuthbert.

52 minutes in Lines sent a pin point ball forward finding List one on one, only to send the ball high and wide of the Swindon goal failing to break the deadlock.

Swindon looked to be the first team to get a goal when the ball was swung into the box by Ben Gladwin finding Louis Reed at the back post who pulled the ball back, however it was eventually cleared as far as Swindon’s Kaine Kesler-Hayden who’s follow up shot lead to nothing.

Swindon continued to pressure Stevenage in the late stages and with ten minutes to go Swindon’s Ellis Iandolo fired a shot from the edge of the box forcing Adam Smith to make a strong save to keep Stevenage in the game.

Stevenage replied quickly when Bruno Andrade’s floated cross found List who fired his headed effort over the bar keeping the score 0-0.

In the 87th  Swindon looked to steal the game, as Jonny Williams fired a ball across goal to find Kesler-Hayden at the back post but his effort went high over the bar giving Stevenage a lifeline.

At the full time whistle neither team could find the winning goal. Stevenage now look forward to their next game where they travel away to top of the table Forest Green Rovers on New Year’s day.

 The final attendance for this game was 8131, 121 of which were traveling away fans.


Purchase your 2021/22 Half Season Ticket now and get the final eleven home games of the season at

Half season TICKETS 16X9.png

Advertisement block