Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 0-0 Tranmere Rovers

16 January 2021

Jim Steele
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 0-0 Tranmere Rovers

16 January 2021

Sponsored by

Another point on the board...

Neither side were able to find a winner this afternoon at The Lamex Stadium as Stevenage were held to 0-0 draw against Keith Hill's Tranmere Rovers, a result that extends Alex Revell's unbeaten run in the league to four games.

Alex Revell named three changes to the side from last Saturday's defeat against Swansea City with Tyrone Marsh, Elliott List and Luke Norris replacing Danny Newton, Jack Smith and Tom Pett. Luke Norris made his first start since signing, while Forest Green loanee Matty Stevens came off the bench to make his Boro debut. 

Tranmere had the earliest chance of the contest on two minutes, as an inviting ball into the box was just short of the onrushing defender Manny Monthe. 

​The visitors looked threatening early on, as a cleared ball fell into the path of Jay Spearing who was intercepted in the nick of time by an onrushing Charlie Carter. 

Elliott List and Monthe engaged in various duels early in the contest, as List's pace was countered by Monthe's strength and vice-versa. 

James Vaughan was lucky to escape any punishment from referee Lee Swabey on 23 minutes after the striker led into Athur Read with his elbow, leaving Read hurt on the floor.

Stevenage had their first major chance on 26 minutes after swift counter attacking play saw Carter find Luther James-Wildin who delivered a delightful cross into Luke Norris, whose header was directed straight at Tranmere keeper Scott Davies. 

Boro edged closer to an opener as a deep cross from Carter was controlled by Norris, striking a ferocious volley that whistled just wide of Davies' left post. 

Norris was ever present in the first half, directing a header from a free-kick goalward which was headed away by Monthe. 

Tranmere were caught at the back on 44 minutes, as Mothe's back pass was too short for Davies, who had to slide to beat Norris to the ball. 

The second half commenced and Boro had the first opportunity, as Carter shrugged off a challenge from Spearing before finding Tyrone Marsh on the edge of the box, blazing his effort over the bar. 

Substitute Matty Stevens had a penalty shout waved away by Lee Swabey, as the onrushing Stevens went down in the box after a hefty challenge from Peter Clarke. 

Stevenage were frustrating the visitors, restricting Tranmere to long balls into the box with little sucess.

Boro had their best chance of the half on 67 minutes, as Stevens wriggled away from his marker before sliding the ball across goal where the sliding Norris was inches way from making contact for what would've been a certain goal.  

Stevens had a good effort saved low by Davies and Aitchison had a penalty appeal turned down as both sides searched for a winner, but were left feeling frustrated as the points were shared. 

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account