Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 3-3 Crawley Town

1 May 2021

Sponsored by

Jim Steele

Boro's final game at the Lamex Stadium this season ended in a 3-3 draw with Luke Norris (2) and Arthur Read scoring the goals for Boro in a dramatic end of season fixture filled with goals...

Alex Revell named just one change from last Saturday's impressive win at rivals Cambridge United, with Elliot Osborne returning to the starting eleven in place of Chris Lines who missed out with a knock.
Elliott List came close in the opening minutes, weaving through the Crawley back line before his shot was blocked by the recovering Joe McNerney. 
McNerney was involved at the other end of the pitch on 7 minutes, latching onto a Crawley set-piece which had Jamie Cumming worried, scrambling across his line to tip the header to safety. 
Boro won themselves a penalty on 20 minutes, after Jordan Tunnicliffe made a clumsy challenge on List, barging the striker in the back leaving referee Declan Bourne with no choice but to award the penalty. The spot kick was taken by Luke Norris who scored emphatically past Glenn Morris, striking into the bottom left corner. 
Crawley Town equalised within a matter of minutes, after a well worked set-piece routine saw Jack Powell take a short corner which fell to veteran George Francomb on the edge of Boro's box, with Francomb shooting low and converting past Cumming with help from the right post. 
Jordan Maguire-Drew found space in a dangerous area on 30 minutes, twisting and turning into the Boro box but before Maguire-Drew could shoot, Prosser intervened with a slide tackle timed to perfection.  
The second-half commenced and the visitors had the half's first chance, as Ashley Nadesan tested Cumming from range, with Cumming saving comfortably. 
Norris was the first Boro player to test Crawley in the second-half, latching onto a long ball but scuffing his effort wide of Morris' goal. 
Crawley Town nearly took the lead on 63 minutes, as a long ball forward from McNerney found the onrushing Nadesan who was through on goal, but the alert Cumming rushed off his line to deal with the danger, bravely intercepting the ball with his hands from the feet of Nadesan. 
Luke Norris restored Boro's lead on 73 minutes, latching onto a though ball before calmly converting past Morris with a delicate chip for his second of the game and eleventh for the season. 
Crawley levelled the contest once more, as the outstretched Terence Vancooten converted past Jamie Cumming into his own net, but Boro quickly went in front again as List cut back to substitute Athur Read, who curled his shot past the outstretched Morris from outside the box.
Norris nearly made it a hat-trick on 88 minutes, finding space but shooting straight at Morris who dealt with the powerful shot well. 
Crawley equalised in the game's closing moments as Jack Powell tried his luck from distance, finding the top corner with an excellent strike which Cumming could only stand and watch. 
The final stages went back and forth as the game came to a close, with Alex Revell's Boro ending the home campaign with a six-goal draw to move up to 15th place in the League Two table.
Opt-in Pett.png

Advertisement block