Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-0 Rochdale AFC

15 April 2022

Sponsored by

Jim Steele

Scott Cuthbert’s second half header gives Stevenage a vital three points on a sunny Good Friday at The Lamex as Steve Evans’ men fight hard for Football League survival…

Evans’ side looked to keep the momentum going after a 2-0 victory in Colchester last Saturday. The team consisted of just one change from that day as Bruno Andrade replaced the suspended Luke Norris who was serving a one match ban. Elliott List was the sole striker with Jamie Reid and Bruno Andrade either side of him.

Boro’s first chance came after just three minutes as a free kick was won roughly twenty-five yards from goal. Ben Coker attempted a low curling effort, but Jay Lynch smartly caught it.

The first twenty minutes were reasonably even with very few chances on goal. Rochdale came close just after twenty minutes but Luke charman’s header went wide of the mark.

Five minutes later, Boro had another free kick within shooting range. This time the ball was whipped into the box before being headed clear to Jake Taylor on the edge of the box whose effort rolled past the post.

The remainder of the first half was quiet as the sides battled out for possession. With just seconds to go until the interval, a nice passage of play resulted in Luther James-Wildin receiving the ball on the right-wing. The Full-back delivered the ball low and hard across goal but Elliott List couldn’t quite get the decisive touch.

As the second half got underway, Evans made his first substitution of the game as Chris Lines replaced Bruno Andrade.

Then, just three minutes after the interval, Boro grabbed the opener. Arthur Read’s pinpoint corner fell to the head of Scott Cuthbert who superbly headed the ball into the bottom left corner to give Stevenage the lead.

Roughly twenty minutes has passed, and Boro were looking to hold on. Max Clark floated the ball across goal, but Luke Charman headed just inches past the post. Then, James Daly came on in place of Elliott List in attack.

With fifteen minutes to go, Evans was forced into his third and final change as Luke O’Neill replaced the struggling Ben Coker. O’Neill slotted into right back with Luther James-Wildin moving to left back.

Five minutes to go and Rochdale were on the front foot as they desperately looked for an equaliser. Chris Lines picked up a yellow card for a rash challenge before the ball was blocked on the Stevenage line just a minute later.

The Boro faithful on the East Terrace were heard loud and clear as they attempted to help their side hold on to the one-goal advantage. The fourth official held up four minutes to be played as the nerves continued.

Eventually the referee blew his whistle to signal for full time and award Stevenage all three points. A hard fought performance from Steve Evans’ men was rewarded as the players put in 100% effort to see out the game and put smiles on faces all around The Lamex.


Attendance: 3172 with 306 away fans.



Together For Boro final 16x9.png

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account