Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Scunthorpe United 1-1 Stevenage

18 April 2022

Sponsored by

Jamie Reid's goal is cancelled out by Harry Bunn's strike as the points are shared in North Lincolnshire...

Stevenage searched for their third win in as many games after two consecutive victories led the club three points above the drop zone. The opposition, Scunthorpe United were relegated from The Football League on Friday after defeat to Leyton Orient. Steve Evans’ side consisted of just two changes as Chris Lines and Luke Norris returned to the starting eleven, replacing Arthur Read and Bruno Andrade.

The game’s first chance came within a couple of minutes for Boro as Luke Norris received the ball before playing in Elliott List. The quick attacker did well to outrun the Scunthorpe defender but dragged his shot just wide of the post.

Roughly ten minutes later, Boro were on the front foot again as they looked for an opener. Luke Norris nodded the ball down to Jamie Reid whose half volley bounced wide. Scunthorpe then had their first sight on goal after twenty-two minutes as a corner was delivered into the area with Joe Nuttall’s header firing just inches over the bar.

The Iron came back again with around ten minutes left of the first half as the ball fell to full-back Luke Matheson, but his powerful effort ricocheted off the post. Then, up the other end Luke Norris’ low driven shot rebounded out to Jake Taylor who tapped the ball over the bar from point-blank range.

Stevenage continued to apply the pressure as they searched for that all important opener. First Elliott List’s shot from 25 yards out was superbly denied by Rory Watson before Chris Lines’ effort a minute later deflected off a Scunthorpe defender and was comfortable for Watson to collect.

Boro were certainly not willing to slow the pace down as the first half came to its closing moments. Jake Taylor’s header was saved before the ball was then cleared off the line after a goal-mouth scramble. The first half was full of Boro chances, but Evans’ men just weren’t fortunate enough to get the ball in the back of the net.

The second half soon got underway, and Stevenage finally opened the scoring. Chris Lines crossed the ball into Jamie Reid who turned and fired into the bottom corner of the goal to give Boro a deserved lead.

Around the hour mark, Stevenage looked to double their lead as Elliott List played the ball across to Luke Norris who headed effort fell into the arms of Rory Watson.

Ten minutes later, The Iron equalised. Jordan Hallam drove down the right wing before crossing the ball into Harry Bunn whose first-time effort was struck into the back of the net to level the scoring.

With just a few minutes to go, Elliott List was replaced by James Daly in an attempt to grab a winner. However, in the five minutes of additional time, Boro were unable to get that crucial goal as the referee blew his whistle and the points were shared.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account