Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Salford 1-0 Stevenage

27 August 2022

Match Reports

Report: Salford 1-0 Stevenage

27 August 2022

Sponsored by

Ryan Watson's late strike for Salford makes the difference as Boro go home empty-handed for the first time this season...

Looking to continue the unbeaten run after an impressive win in The Carabao Cup Second Round, Steve Evans’ men returned to Sky Bet League Two action with a trip to Salford City. Evans decided to stick with the same starting eleven as last Saturday’s league win at home, with new signing David Amoo making the bench.

The opening ten minutes of the game made for a scrappy start as both sides looked to get a hold of the ball and play their football. Callum Hendry had the game’s first real chance as the number nine took aim from the edge of the area, but his effort was fired just high and wide of the mark.

Boro were growing into the game and looked like the side on top soon after. Max Clark’s superb delivery down the left flank found Jordan Roberts who then laid it off to Arthur Read, before the midfielder’s powerful effort was tipped just over the bar by former Boro keeper Tom King.

Both sides had positive spells in the first half with Salford being on top around the half hour mark. Callum Hendry appeared to be the dangerman for the Ammies has his wonderful long-range effort forced a save from Taye Ashby-Hammond.

Moments later, Brandon Thomas-Asante’s outstanding pace and strength allowed him to run through on the left-wing before firing down to Ashby-Hammond’s right but the Fulham loanee got down to deny. Danny Rose was then unable to continue as he was replaced by Tuesday’s goal scorer, Jamie Reid.

With five minutes left of the half, Stevenage came close to getting the game’s opener. Luke Norris tussled well before cutting in on his right and taking aim but Tom King was able to watch the effort fly past the post.

The score was goalless after an entertaining half between two battling sides. At half time, Evans made two changes with Kane Smith and Arthur Read being replaced by

The first ten minutes of the second half was just as tight as the first with little to write home about. Brandon Thomas-Asante threatened down the left wing with Luther Wildin on the back foot but his ball into the box was collected by Taye Ashby-Hammond.

Evans then made yet another change, introducing Dean Campbell for Jordan Roberts.

Just after the hour mark, Jamie Reid’s quick reactions sparked a counterattack as the Salford defence were tracking back. Reid held the ball up well before laying it off and receiving it back through a cross, but the striker couldn’t quite get his angles right as he headed wide.

Fifteen minutes remained and it was Salford knocking on the door. Conor McAleny’s sublime first touch enabled the Salford attacker to spring past Luther Wildin and take aim but Taye Ashby-Hammond denied.

Jamie Reid who had had a couple of chances already was through on goal once again with ten minutes remaining, but his right-footed effort was smashed wide of the post to the delight of the Ammies supporters.

As injury time loomed, The Peninsula Stadium witnessed a late goal, but this time the late fortune went in favour of Stevenage’s opponents. The ball fell perfectly for Ryan Watson on the edge of the area who absolutely smashed the ball into the back of the net to give The Ammies a late lead.

To the despair of the Boro fans in the away end, Salford were able to see out the game and walk away with all three points to put an end to Stevenage’s superb unbeaten run. Boro battled well but it was ultimately Salford’s Ryan Watson who made the difference.

Attendance: 2,023 with 155 away.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account