Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Forest Green 2-0 Stevenage

1 January 2022

Sponsored by

A disappointing afternoon for Stevenage Football Club as the League leaders grab all three points through goals from March and Matt…

Paul Tisdale’s men looked to get the new year off to a flyer as he aimed to build on Wednesday’s promising performance in Swindon. The side consisted of just one change from that game with Terence Vancooten replacing Jake Taylor.

It was clear from the start that Tisdale had elected to match Forest Green with the three centre backs of Scott Cuthbert, Luke Prosser and Terence Vancooten with Luther James-Wildin and Ben Coker the wingbacks.

It was a scrappy start from both sides as Stevenage won several free kicks in the opposition half but failed to create a real chance from them. Ebou Adams got the first shot of the game for Forest Green after ten minutes, but his low effort was drilled past the post.

Two minutes later, Rovers’ Nicky Cadden whipped the ball in from a free-kick, meeting the head of Jordan Moore-Taylor whose headed effort bounced over the crossbar.

Then, it was Stevenage’s turn to attack as a quick passage of play on the left-hand side fell to Luke Norris who squared it into the box for Chris Lines, but Luke Mcgee did well to come out and close the midfielder down.

Just after twenty minutes, the match quickened in pace. Elliott List broke forward before slipping in Luke Norris whose ball back across goal was well defended. Then, within seconds Forest Green created an attack of their own as a quick break forward ended up at Josh March’s feet but Scott Cuthbert did exceptionally well to block the shot.

Stevenage created their first clear chance of the game on the half hour mark through a Ben Coker corner. The left-back’s ball was allowed to bounce in the area before meeting Terence Vancooten who headed straight at the goalkeeper.

With five minutes to go until the break, Rovers put the pressure on the Stevenage defence who remained solid and defended well. Kane Wilson picked

up the ball and fired at goal from thirty yards out but blasted inches past the post.

Rovers ended the half with a Nicky Cadden shot which was fired just wide as the referee blew his whistle, putting an end to a scrappy half which would have kept the Stevenage dressing room satisfied.

Boro were forced into their first substitution of the game two minutes into the second half as Elliott List went down holding his leg, requiring treatment. Midfielder Arthur Read replaced the forward.

Ten minutes later Forest Green opened the scoring. A pinpoint cross was delivered into the Stevenage area with Josh March rising highest to nod home and put the league leaders in front.

With Stevenage a goal down, they remained on the back foot as Rovers doubled their lead seven minutes later. Kane Wilson clipped the ball into the box, leaving Jamille Matt with the simple task of tapping in to increase the lead.

James Daly and Charlie Carter were introduced in place of Chris Lines and Luke Norris in an attempt to crawl back. The next ten minutes went Stevenage’s way, but the Hertfordshire side failed to find the back of the net.

With ten to go, Forest Green looked for a third. Jack Aitchison was sent in before firing at Adam Smith who successfully got down to deny.

Five minutes later, The Greens attacked again with Nicky Cadden’s effort bouncing off the post. The ball then fell to Ben Stevenson who blasted high over the bar.

Finally, Jake Young saw his effort denied as Neil Hair blew his whistle signalling the end of a disappointing afternoon. Stevenage come away from the game outside of the relegation zone due to other results going Boro’s way, as Forest Green solidify their place at the top of the league


Purchase your 2021/22 Half Season Ticket now and get the final eleven home games of the season at

Half season TICKETS 16X9.png

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account