Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-2 Northampton Town

15 March 2022

Jim Steele

Frustration at The Lamex as Chris Lines' strike fails to spark a comeback...

Stevenage went into their second game at The Lamex in the space of three days looking for victory after a home defeat to Newport County on the weekend. Tisdale made three changes from that game as Chris Lines, Charlie Carter all returned to the starting eleven in place of Scott Cuthbert, Zain Westbrooke and Jamie Reid.

The opening fifteen minutes were quiet as both sides attempted to break down the opposition. Northampton earned a free kick from roughly twenty-five yards out, but Mitch Pinnock’s curling ball sailed just past the post.

Two minutes later, The Cobblers opened the scoring. The ball rolled out of the Stevenage area, allowing Aaron Mcgowan to strike low and hard from the edge of the box into the bottom left-hand corner.

Just after the half-hour mark, Terence Vancooten delivered a promising ball into the area directly from a free kick on the halfway line. Luke Norris flicked the ball on, but no Boro player was able to get a decisive touch on it.

Five minutes later, Stevenage were on the front foot once again as they looked for an equaliser. Charlie Carter played in Elliott List who beat his man for pace before firing just wide of the goal.

Stevenage were on top for the final fifteen of the game but failed to find the back of the net. A clash of heads occurred in the final moments of the half between Fraser Horsfall and Luke Norris which resulted in Norris hastily walking off and being replaced by Zain Westbrooke.

As the second half got underway, Boro created another chance on goal. After a decent passing move, Luke O’Neill cut in from the right and found his left-footed effort comfortably collected by Cobblers’ keeper Liam Roberts.

Stevenage’s small dominant spell was soon put to an end as Northampton doubled their lead. Mitch Pinnock found the ball at his feet before unleashing a powerful strike into the back of the net, giving Stevenage a mountain to climb.

Just before the hour mark, Tisdale introduced his second substitution as Arthur Read replaced Ed Upson in a like-for-like swap in midfield.

Northampton came close to getting their third goal as Jack Sowerby received the ball from Beryly Lubala before striking low at goal, with Christy Pym getting across to deny.

Boro attempted to grab a goal back with fifteen minutes to go but Zain Westbrooke’s effort from the edge of the area was comfortably collected by Liam Roberts. Luke O’Neill delivered a good cross into the box five minutes later, but Chris Lines’ headed effort flew over the bar.

With seven minutes plus additional time remaining, Stevenage pulled one back. Charlie Carter whipped the ball across the face of the goal, allowing Chris Lines to strike low into the bottom right-hand corner, halving the deficit for the hosts.

Stevenage now had everything to battle for as a point would be crucial in the fight for survival. Northampton were keen to hang on in order to retain a spot in the automatic promotion places. Four minutes were added to the ninety, as the game heated up.

Boro earned themselves a free-kick on the right hand side of the box. Arthur Read whipped the ball in on his left foot but Liam Roberts came out to collect. Then, Elliott List’s powerful effort came close to levelling the scoring but his effort could only sting Roberts’ hands.

Unfortunately for Tisdale's men, the referee blew for full time as The Cobblers walked away with all three points. Chris Lines' goal with seven minutes to go appeared to be too late for Boro.


Attendance: 2362 with 568 away supporters.

Advertisement block