Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-1 Charlton Athletic (Charlton win 5-4 on penalties)

8 November 2022

Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-1 Charlton Athletic (Charlton win 5-4 on penalties)

8 November 2022

Sponsored by

Stevenage are knocked out of the Carabao Cup on penalties, despite a hard-fought ninety minutes...

After advancing through to the Second Round of the FA Cup on Saturday, Boro’s attention turned to The Carabao Cup as Charlton Athletic stood in their way of a place in the competition’s Fourth Round.

Aaron Chapman started in goal for Stevenage, behind a solid back three of Dan Sweeney, Michael Bostwick and captain Carl Piergianni. Max Clark and Luther James-Wildin occupied the wing-back roles whilst Terence Vancooten sat in the defensive midfield position. Arthur Read and Jake Taylor completed the midfield trio behind a deadly strike partnership of Luke Norris and Danny Rose.

Boro created an early chance five minutes in, with Luther James-Wildin running down the right-hand side. The wing-back squared it to Luke Norris just inside the area who fired just over the bar.

After twenty minutes, Boro were awarded a penalty after Richard Chin handled the ball inside the area. Stevenage’s own, Luke Norris, stepped up and placed the ball into the bottom left corner to put his side into the lead and grab his second goal in four days.

The pressure did not stop after the goal, as Boro looked like a side on fire. Arthur Read sprinted from midfield before trying his luck with his weaker right-foot, but Joe Wollacott collected.

Terence Vancooten seemed to be enjoying his slightly more advanced role, as he was frequently seen making darting runs from midfield. The ball fell to Boro’s longest serving player just outside the area, as his volley flew inches past the post.

Arthur Read appeared to be the creative spark for Evans’ side with his quick feet proving to be an issue for the Charlton defence. Read skipped past his defender before playing in Jake Taylor who was unable to beat the goalkeeper from the six-yard line.

Boro could’ve had three or four goals by the end of the first half and were determined to not allow Charlton back in the game. The Hertfordshire side almost doubled their lead before the break as Jake Taylor’s cross rebounded off the crossbar before danger was cleared.

The opening fifteen minutes of the second half was slower in pace as Charlton’s frustrations grew. The Addicks boss Ben Garner subsequently made four changes in an attempt to turn the game in his side’s favour.

Shortly after the hour mark, Boro had more chances to double their lead. Danny Rose’s effort crashed off the near post before Jake Taylor fired wide moments later. Steve Evans then made his first change of the game, bringing on Saxon Earley for Max Clark.

Luke Norris went down with twenty minutes to go, looking in real discomfort as he held his foot. The striker attempted to play on but was soon substituted for David Amoo.

With just over ten minutes to go, Charlton looked destined to equalise. A dangerous cross caught Aaron Chapman off guard as the ball crashed off the cross bar and led to a goal-mouth scramble, but the referee awarded Stevenage a free-kick. Boro’s third change came shortly after, as Arthur Read was replaced by Dean Campbell.

Five minutes remained as Charlton grabbed their equaliser. Former Stevenage man, Chuks Aneke received the ball inside the penalty box before firing low and hard into the bottom right corner to level the scoring.

The Fourth Official held up six additional minutes to be played as Charlton were on the front foot. A penalty shootout would follow if the score remained level. Chuks Aneke almost grabbed the winner, but his curling effort flew past the post.

In the final moments, Boro had the ball in the opposition’s box, but David Amoo’s tame header fell into the hands of Joe Wollacott. The score did indeed remain level after ninety minutes, meaning a penalty shootout would decide the outcome.

Danny Rose was first to step up for the hosts, as he blasted it past the keeper. Sean Clare then followed for Charlton, finding the bottom left corner with ease. Dean Campbell was next for Boro, as the Scotsman slotted it low past Wollacott. Then, Jake Forster-Caskey fired low and hard into the bottom left corner.

Centre-back Dan Sweeney followed with a powerful strike of his own to go in-front, before Jesurun Rak-Sakyi levelled the shootout. Boro’s Michael Bostwick blasted his penalty into the back of the net to the delight of the Stevenage fans, but Chuks Aneke replied to make it 4-4.

Jake Taylor was next up for Stevenage. The midfielder opted for the bottom right corner, but Wollacott saved. Scott Fraser was handed the pressure of taking the deciding penalty, as he stepped up and scored to send Charlton into the Fourth Round.

Attendance: 3,515 inc. 1,137 away.


Match tickets for Stevenage vs Hartlepool United start at £18 Adults, £15 Concessions, £10 Under 18s and £5 Under 12s.

hartlepool 16x9.png

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account