Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Crawley Town 1-2 Stevenage

1 October 2022

Match Reports

Report: Crawley Town 1-2 Stevenage

1 October 2022

Sponsored by

Luke Norris' late penalty wraps up an important victory against Steve Evans' former side, Crawley Town...

Boro made the trip to West Sussex for some more Sky Bet League Two action, looking to build on their impressive start to the campaign. The opponents, Crawley Town were looking for just their second league victory this season as they sat just outside the relegation places.

Steve Evans made four changes from victory at home to Harrogate last Saturday with Jordan Roberts, Arthur Read, Jamie Reid and Saxon Earley all returning to the starting eleven. Earley partnered up with Kane Smith in the wing-back roles for the first time this season, as opposed to his usual partner Luther James-Wildin.

Around the ten-minute mark, Boro enjoyed a highly attacking spell as Crawley were on the back foot. Jamie Reid cut in onto his right foot but fired just wide of the post.

Then, Terence Vancooten, who was occupying the holding midfield role in this match, drove forward and earned a free kick just inches outside the area. Jordan Roberts stepped up to take but fired into the wall.

Crawley witnessed their first sight on goal after twenty minutes, as dangerous midfielder James Tilley tried his luck from outside the Stevenage area but fired high and wide.

Down the other end though, Stevenage grabbed the first goal of the afternoon. Jamie Reid’s header fell to Jordan Roberts whose first-time volley inside the area rocked the crossbar and hit the back of the net to open the scoring against his former side.

With ten to go until the break, Stevenage could have, and potentially should have, doubled their lead. Jamie Reid neatly turned past Harry Ransom before striking his effort against the bar from close-range.

Moments before the interval, Taye Ashby-Hammond denied a threatening effort from Crawley’s Tom Fellows to ensure Stevenage went into half-time with a one-goal advantage.

Unfortunately for Evans’ men, it took no more than a minute of second-half action to lose their lead. Ashley Nadesan was lurking around the six-yard box as the ball deflected off the forward and over the goal line past Taye Ashby-Hammond to level the scoring.

Just after the hour mark, after a quiet period, Boro had an opportunity to regain their lead. Danny Rose broke through before cutting in on his right and striking the ball low and hard past the far post.

Evans then opted for a triple change as Jamie Reid, Arthur Read and Jordan Roberts made way for Luke Norris, Jake Taylor and Jake Reeves in a bid to go back in front.

Crawley were beginning to apply some pressure on the Boro defence with twenty minutes left to play. James Tilley’s left footed strike inside the area was well caught by Taye Ashby-Hammond.

Two more substitutions were introduced soon after, as wing-backs Max Clark and Luther James-Wildin replaced Saxon Earley and Kane Smith respectively.

With five minutes remaining, Stevenage earned themselves a penalty through a handball in the area. Substitute Luke Norris stepped up to take before firing into the bottom right corner and celebrating with the 319 Stevenage supporters behind the goal.

It was then a matter of seeing out the game in the final ten minutes, including a long spell of added time. Steve Evans side did exactly what was asked of them as the referee blew for full time to award Boro an incredibly important three points in Sky Bet League Two. Now onto Tuesday as Stevenage return to The Lamex to face Sutton United.

Attendance: 2732 with 319 away supporters.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account