Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Gillingham 1-1 Stevenage

15 October 2022

Sponsored by

Danny Rose's first-half header is cancelled out by Baggott's equaliser as the points are shared in Kent...

Boro arrived in Kent as table toppers, looking to keep a hold of pole position, with Gillingham standing in the way of another three points. Steve Evans opted for the same starting eleven to the one that defeated Swindon the week prior, with Luke Norris making the bench.

Stevenage created some early danger for Gillingham to be aware of as Jordan Roberts picked up the ball on the right-hand side before delivering a dangerous ball across goal, but no one was able to get the decisive touch as The Gills won a throw-in.

Gillingham created a half chance five minutes later as Mikael Mandron took aim under pressure inside the Stevenage area but struck the ball wide of the post.

Despite there being a rather slow period throughout the first twenty minutes, the game began to pick up in pace, but in favour of Gillingham. Hakeeb Adelakun sprinted down the right wing before sending a low ball over to Scott Kashket at the back post who managed to fire over the bar from three yards to keep the score level.

Despite seeing out some pressure from Gillingham, Boro opened the scoring just before the half hour mark. Saxon Earley pulled off a wonderful cross from his left wing-back position and found the head of Danny Rose whose sublime leaping ability was on display as the forward headed the ball past Glenn Morris to give Stevenage the lead.

Five minutes before the break, however, The Gills equalised. Will Wright’s cross was met by the powerful head of Elkan Baggott whose header flew past Taye Ashby-Hammond to level the scoring and liven up the home crowd.

At half-time, Steve Evans made one change as captain Carl Piergianni was replaced by Michael Bostwick. Then, ten minutes into the half, Jake Reeves and Jamie Reid made way for Jake Taylor and Luke Norris respectively.

Gillingham found a lot of the ball in the first twenty minutes of the second period but failed to create any clear-cut chances as the score remained level.

Boro livened up soon after as Evans’ men searched for a second goal. Alex Gilbey burst into the box and there were major penalty appeals from the Stevenage dugout, but the referee said no. It then appeared that Danny Rose was pushed into the back outside the area, but the referee dismissed again before booking Saxon Earley for protesting this.

With twenty minutes remaining, Stevenage were on the front foot again as the ball fell to Michael Bostwick on the edge of the area who took aim, but powerfully fired just over the bar.

As the wind picked up in Kent, Jordan Roberts was sent through on goal with only the goalkeeper to beat. Roberts managed to strike it past the goalkeeper but also past the post as somehow, the score remained level.

Neither side were able to create a real chance in the final fifteen minutes as the fourth official’s board revealed there would be five minutes of additional time. Tensions were high as both managers exchanged words.

Eventually, after both sides tussled, the final whistle was blown and the points were shared. Boro now return to The Lamex on Tuesday to face Spurs Under 21s in The Papa John’s Trophy.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account