Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-0 Newport County

13 September 2022

Alex Gilbey's home debut strike gives Boro all three points on a rainy evening at The Lamex...

Prior to kick-off, The Lamex Stadium beautifully observed a moments silence, followed by the National Anthem, in memory of Her Late Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, who sadly passed away aged 96 last week.

Steve Evans named three changes from victory in Crewe with wing-backs Kane Smith and Max Clark replacing Luther James-Wildin and Saxon Earley, whilst Jordan Roberts returned to the starting eleven in place of Jake Taylor who dropped to the bench.

The opening twenty minutes of the game went entirely in Stevenage’s favour in terms of possession, but neither goalkeeper witnessed any real danger as Boro continued to work hard to create chances.

Just before the half hour mark, Kane Smith looked to threaten the Newport box as he drove forward and delivered a low cross into the box, which tested the goalkeeper’s quick reactions.

Boro remained the side on top, desperate for that all-important opener. Jamie Reid’s flick-on found Jordan Roberts in the area who appeared to have been brought down as he claimed for a penalty, but the referee dismissed his appeal and the game continued.

Despite being the side on top, Stevenage found themselves in a moment of danger as Omar Bogle’s clear-cut chance was fired wide of the post from close-range.

Then, in the closing stages of a rather tense half, Luke Norris took aim from inside the box, but his effort was blocked, and the danger was eventually cleared.

After a frustrating first half, Boro wasted no time in piling the pressure on the Newport defence as Steve Evans’ men broke the deadlock soon after the break. It was new man, Alex Gilbey, whose curling effort from just outside the area found the top corner to grab his first goal for the club on his home debut in front of The Lamex crowd.

The chances kept coming for Boro soon after as Newport were on the back foot. First, Luke Norris fired low and hard past the post from the edge of the area, before Jamie Reid saw an opportunity from long range, but his effort sailed agonisingly wide.

With fifteen minutes to go, Stevenage looked well-organised and gave Newport no glimmer of hope. Evans introduced his first substitutions of the evening as Saxon Earley and Luther James-Wildin replaced Max Clark and Kane Smith in their respective wing-back roles.

Moments later, Jamie Reid latched onto a misplaced Newport pass before cutting in and taking aim, but his shot was deflected out for a corner. Jake Taylor then replaced Jordan Roberts to see out the final ten minutes.

Five minutes remained as Saxon Earley picked up the ball on the halfway line and sprinted the length of the Newport half. The wing-back took aim from his favoured left foot but fired wide of the far post. Danny Rose was then introduced in place of Luke Norris up top.

Stevenage held on well in the five minutes of added time as the referee blew his final whistle of the evening. A dominant display from Steve Evans’ men who now go on their travels to Bradford this Saturday in Sky Bet League Two.

Attendance: 2109 with 117 away supporters.

Advertisement block