Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage FCW 1-1 Colney Heath Ladies

6 September 2022

Match Reports

Report: Stevenage FCW 1-1 Colney Heath Ladies

6 September 2022

Sponsored by

Stevenage FC Women are held to a 1-1 draw against Colney Heath Ladies on a historic night at The Lamex...

For the first time in the club’s history, Stevenage FC Women played a competitive league fixture at The Lamex Stadium in front of a crowd of Boro supporters. Their opponents on the night were Colney Heath who they had previously beaten in last season’s county cup final.

Before kick-off, the heavens opened and it was looking like a rather grim evening in terms of the weather. Luckily, the rain stopped just in time as Boro’s women kicked off at The Lamex for the first time in history.

The first chance of the game came within the first five minutes as Becky Shepherd took aim from long range, but her effort sailed just wide of the mark.

Boro were the side on top in the opening stages with Shianne Swarres’ through ball finding Amy Gooderham out on the right wing. Gooderham pounced on her opportunity but fired just wide.

Twenty-five minutes had been played and Stevenage were really knocking on the door. Holly Greenwood burst into the box before squaring it to Susan Uwaifo, but the forward mistimed her effort, and the ball went wide.

Half an hour in, the rain began to pour once again whilst Stevenage were piling the pressure on the Colney Heath defence. Impressive midfielder, Shianne Swarres saw an opportunity from thirty yards out but blasted the ball past the post.

Finally, after thirty-seven minutes Boro broke the deadlock. Dionne Manning, playing left-back, picked up the ball just outside the area before striking powerfully into the bottom left corner to give her side the lead.

Colney Heath almost replied immediately however, as the ball was delivered into the Boro box and headed narrowly over the bar.

Stevenage defended well, allowing them to go on and search for a second goal. Susan Uwaifo’s blistering pace sent her through on goal, but Colney keeper Naomi Swift held on to the striker’s effort well.

The second half got underway, and Stevenage were now attacking towards the North Stand. Becky Shepherd stepped up to take a free kick from just outside the area but fired inches over the bar.

Colney Heath looked to find a way back into the game shortly after with substitute Nathalie Powell through on goal, but Boro keeper Celine Ray calmly denied the danger.

Substitutes Stef Paci and Kelsey Miller were introduced shortly after the hour mark, with Holly Greenwood and Amy Gooderham being rested. A reminder that this game uses ‘roll-on roll-off’ subs.

With twenty minutes remaining, Colney Heath levelled the scoring. Kelly Hancock laid the ball off for Terri Harvey whose effort from the edge of the area deflected into the back of the net. Boro boss, Fadi Mazloum made his next change after the goal with Ciara Clark replacing Emily Schofield.

The final ten minutes were reasonably end-to-end as both sides were desperate for that all-important winner. Unfortunately, neither side were unable find the back of the net in the closing stages as the points were shared.

A historic occasion for Stevenage FC Women who battled from minute one until the final whistle.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account