Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 0-1 Stevenage

11 November 2023

Match Reports

Report: Wycombe 0-1 Stevenage

11 November 2023

Sponsored by

Jamie Reid's first-half strike is the difference maker as Stevenage take home an important three points...

After last weekend’s dramatic FA Cup victory over Tranmere Rovers, Stevenage returned to League One action with a short trip to Adams Park to face Wycombe Wanderers.

The gaffer made three changes from that FA Cup triumph, with Luther James-Wildin, Finley Burns and Kane Hemmings returning to the starting eleven. Nick Freeman made a return to Adams Park in the starting eleven after his seven-year spell with the hosts.

After an impeccably observed period of silence on Remembrance Day, the game kicked off on a cool November afternoon.

Very little action occurred in the early stages of the game with Wycombe’s Ryan Tafazolli picking up a knock and receiving treatment, meaning there was a lengthy stoppage of play.

In truth, the first half had very little to write home about as both teams cancelled each other out. Stevenage looked to deliver a number of balls into the box, but none of them paid off.

After the half an hour mark, Wycombe’s Brandon Hanlan was stretchered off resulting in fourteen minutes of additional time to be played.

It was late in that additional time when Stevenage managed to break the deadlock. A long ball forward found Kane Hemmings who brought it down tremendously before squaring it to Jamie Reid who fired home.

Boro then went into the break a goal up after a slow, but successful, first half.

As the second half got underway, Stevenage saw more of the ball in the opposition half as they looked to double their lead. Alex MacDonald saw his effort deflect out for a corner. Then, eight minutes later, Kane Hemmings ran through on goal but was denied by a last-ditch Wycombe tackle.

With over twenty minutes to go, the gaffer made his first change of the afternoon as Nathan Thompson was introduced in place of Finley Burns as Terence Vancooten stepped into midfield.

Wycombe looked to equalise shortly after as David Wheeler sent a low ball into the box, but Taye Ashby-Hammond was quick to get down and collect.

Late in the game, there was another lengthy stoppage in play as Luke Leahy required treatment and a stretcher in what appeared to be a concerning incident. The clock approached ninety with the player still down.

The stoppage continued into added time, with the referee having a decision to make regarding the continuation of the game. Eventually, Leahy was stretchered off, the referee spoke to both captains, and the game resumed with fourteen minutes of added time to play.

Stevenage did their job perfectly in additional time to see out the victory. Two subs were made as Jake Forster-Caskey and Aaron Pressley were introduced in place of Alex MacDonald and Kane Hemmings before the referee blew his final whistle.

It was game with many stoppages, but ultimately Stevenage deservedly came out on top after a rather professional performance.

Attendance: 4,936 inc. 596 away supporters.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account