Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Report: Stevenage 1-1 Charlton Athletic

16 September 2023

Sponsored by

Jamie Reid's opener is cancelled out late in the game as both sides take home a share of the spoils...

Stevenage topped the table ahead of this sunny September afternoon and they looked to continue their flying start to League One football against a formidable Charlton Athletic side. Just the one change was made from the starting eleven that picked up a point against Carlisle the week prior, with striker Kane Hemmings making his first league start in place of Charlie McNeill.

Before kick-off, The Lamex Stadium observed an impeccable minute’s silence to remember those impacted by the Moroccan earthquake and Libyan floods in recent days.

Within the first five minutes of the game, Boro created their first chance as they looked to take an early lead. A dangerous cross into the area met the head of Carl Piergianni whose headed effort was comfortable for the Charlton goalkeeper.

After ten minutes, midfielder Louis Thompson won possession of the ball with a delightful tackle to get the home crowd excited. He then carried the ball forward before taking aim and narrowly firing wide from the edge of the area.

The next twenty minutes were rather quiet as neither side could carve out a clear chance due to the stop-start nature of the game.

However, once the half hour mark had been passed, the action picked up and Stevenage deservedly found their opening goal. Nick Freeman carried the ball to the by-line before cutting it back to the prolific Jamie Reid who beat his defender and smashed it home to give his side the lead and get his third goal in two games.

For the remainder of the half, Boro were comfortable with their one-goal advantage as the referee blew his half-time whistle.

No changes were made by either side at half-time as the second half got underway with Boro shooting towards the North Stand.

Ten minutes into the half, Stevenage were forced to withstand some brief Charlton pressure as the visitors looked to get an equaliser. Boro defended well though and Miles Leaburn’s effort went over the crossbar to end the attack.

On the hour mark, a first Boro change was made as Kane Hemmings made way for Alex MacDonald who stepped into the attacking midfield role.

Mid-way through the second half, Stevenage had the opportunity to double their lead as Jordan Roberts found Jamie Reid with a neat through ball. The forward, one on one with the goalkeeper, was unable to get his effort on target as the score remained 1-0.

Two Boro changes were made with thirteen of the ninety to play as Jake Forster-Caskey and Elliott List were introduced in place of Louis Thompson and Jamie Reid respectively.

In the final ten minutes, Charlton supporters passionately appealed for a penalty, but the referee disagreed and play continued. There was a lengthy stoppage in play shortly after as Terry Taylor received treatment.

The stoppage in play led to eleven minutes of added time being displayed by the fourth official as Charlton searched for an equaliser. Moments into the injury time, The Addicks were awarded a penalty in front of the travelling support.

Up stepped Corey Blackett-Taylor for the visitors who levelled the scoring from the spot.

For the remainder of additional time, neither goalkeeper was really tested as both sides took home a share of the spoils. It’s another point on the board for Stevenage in League One who now prepare for a trip to Cheltenham next weekend.

Attendance: 5119 including 1380 away supporters.

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account